Seafood cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyHooligan

Aquarium Advice Freak
start w/ my specs. 90 gal tank hoping for a FOWLER environment.

today water is:
PH 8.8/ ammonia 0.50/ nitrite & nitrates 0
I have a skimmer and power head running. I want to add raw seafood to start the cycle.
When would be a good point to add rock? Wait until Nit. and ammonia are completely gone?

I would add the LR now and cycle the tank and cure the LR at the same time. You can accomplish both at the same time. Also dont worry about the PH during the cycle. It will bounce around and not be stable till after the cycle.

I haven't added the rock yet.
Should I "black out" the tank as it cycles or do it only if algea/green water begins to appear?

I would add the rock now as well. Lights on/off, skimmer running or not, doesn't really matter (although, it will help break in the skimmer).

Lights are not needed for cycling. I agree with Scott in that I would cycle the tank and cure the LR at the same time.

ok, so high levels of ammonia and nitrite won't harm or stress the rock?
LFS suggested rock would die if placed before the tank cycled.

If there are corals on the rock, they may die due to the cycle, but mist of the critters will come back. On the other hand, if it is already fully cured LR you may not even see a cycle.

Yep, if you have enough, the nitrifying bacteria will convert the ammonia to nitrItes and then to nitrAtes....

If you're cycling without rock, do you have something in the tank that will serve as a "home" for the bacteria? Wet/dry filter? Sand bed? The bacteria you're creating need a place to live.

Most folks cycle WITH rock because after you cycle the tank, unless you add fully cured (read... expensive) rock you'll experience another cycle anyway. If indeed you're adding fully cured rock, then adding it after the cycle is OK.

do you have something in the tank that will serve as a "home" for the bacteria?
Thus far, all I've added is sugar sand and some patches of crushed coral for decoration.
2 medium sized raw shrimp-skimmer, p-head, airstone, and heater set to 85 degrees.
also,
what should I be looking for in terms of 48" lighting?

If you're just doing FOWLR, with no corals, then any type of lighting will do. The brighter the light though, the more the colors of the fish will "pop" for you. A dual-tube compact fluorescent setup would give the fish good coloration, and also allow you to venture into some corals down the road without having to upgrade your lighting.

Started cycling tank on 5/19- ammonia is slowly dropping, nitrite is kind of holding steady, nitrates took a huge jump from 3 days ago.
The 2 shrimp I used have now broken apart into multiple pieces and the PHs are pushing some of the lighter pieces around . Is this okay?

The ammonia and nitrite are now reading zero w/ about 40 ppm of nitrate-
ph was 8.2
It may be 3-4 days before I can get LR or fish for the tank.
Do I risk losing my bacteria and having to cycle all over?

If only 3-4 days... I don't think you risk any bacteria die off. If it was a week or more, I'd add some fish food or something.

You say it'll be a few days until you can get live rock. Unless the rock is fully cured live rock, then you're going to have the possibility of another cycle as the stuff on the rock dies off. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you weren't aware of that...

The rock is from an LFS. I anticipated some PWCs and debris removal but assumed the LR almost to fully cured.
Is that completely off base?
Should I inquire as to how long they've had the rock in their tanks?

Yes, by all means inquire. I did and saved myself a headache when I had found a nice looking piece. My LFS had just recieved it and it wasnt fully cured. I was able to have them hold on t it and let it cure a bit before I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom