Seahorse aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovefishys

Aquarium Advice Activist
We are setting up a 42 hex aquarium this weekend for only seahorses. Do they need different type of light than a regular saltwater? We already have live rock but ever where I have read they don't say anything about live sand. What kind of sand do you suggest, filtration and branches for them. As of right now we are just setting it up. I know it has to cycle for months before we can add seahorses to it. Any advice would be great. Thank you!

For lighting, I believe that seahorses prefer to have a tank that is lit, but not super bright (like the light that metal halide lamps output).

Live sand is not a necessity. :) You can use live sand or dry sand. Some people even have success using pool filter sand in their tanks from hardware stores.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. :)

EDIT: This cycling article may be helpful. :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Last edited:
Also make sure you have low flow because their food will get own away and they are very weak swimmers. I would live to see pics when your done with the tank.

Back
Top Bottom