Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Question Seahorse Fowlr

ok i want to make my 12 gallon tank into a dwarf seahorse tank, i have the sand and all that and the tank as cycled and been up and running for over 9 months. i have read everywhere that Tonga Live rock is best for them because of the branchy type rock formation. but my question is other than Europe where the heck do you buy this stuff in the States? my Local Fish Store has no idea what i'm talking about and only points me to what they have so its very frustrating. please help!

untraceable726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I think that if you have some grasses and some sea fans as well as some sponges you should do fine. I think any kind of LR would be "okay" but if you can get the branching kind that would be better.

Sometimes life is best left to it's own devices.
If your not happy at what you're looking at, you're looking at it the wrong way.
My 320g tank build in progress watch at ---> http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f71/320g-build-journey-experiment-128784.html
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Most dealers get live rock from all over the place. You usually just have to keep an eye out for it. You can order from a few places online that might have it sorted by location. Just search "live rock aquarium" on the internet and you should get several places to look.
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
alright ill look thanks! and yes i was considering just putting some plants instead. we will see what i come across!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
seahorses require water colder than 74 degrees. have you researched them? be careful where you buy them and what species you buy. they also need to be hand fed multiple times daily from what i've read. they can be trained to eat out of a dish, but that dish needs to be filled 2x a day.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Most likely the dwarf seahorse you will be acquiring will be Hippocampus zosterae, which will survive just fine in 74F-76F and probably require you to purchase a small chiller. Because of the size of the seahorse the type of live rock is moot. They are going to hitch onto whatever crevice they can find and most branch rock is far too large for them to get their tails around anyways. As far as food, x2 daily feedings will be the least you'd want to feed with x3 daily feedings being about right just as long as you keep the aquarium clean (weekly partial water changes w/gravel vacuum). Feed live nauplii, cyclop-eeze (hard to wean onto, but worth a try), copepods, etc.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
alright, sounds good, i want to get the tank all set up and going before i even bring the little guys home, so im making sure i have a good food supply, a good tank for them to swim and latch on to things and what not. well keep you all posted, thanks for the tips!
Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Generally seahorses is very delicate species of sea.so you should have care a lot.
rosysmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
yeah rock mostly doesnt matter unless you want some added filtration without any flow, my fiancee is looking into dwarf seahorses herself and some people say the rock is too rough and will hurt them but as long as you have plenty of small plants for them to latch on to you'll be fine

as for the specific rock you can buy online or just look out for some nice pieces in your lfs

if you get all up and running you better post a new thread and lots of pics! i would love to see that come together, and ORA sells dwarfs that are trained onto prepared/frozen since they usually eat copepods but only if your lfs orders with them, so keep that in mind too

iDream is offline   Reply With Quote

fowlr, seahorse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com