Seahorse info needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me a lite bit about the environment a seahorse would need..I'm looking to get one in the future..I have a 55g tank and also if anyone had good ideas for a cleaning crew?

Thank yoy

Slightly cooler water (74-76ish), lower flow, live food, no fast moving fish to compete, no stinging animals such as coral or anemone, lots of safe hitches such as macro algae. Dont depend on pods to keep them fed. Feed minimum twice daily and clean leftovers quickly.
Avoid crabs for the clean up except MAYBE small hermits such as blue legs. Snails are always good. A healthy bristle worm population is a must.
Umm... Start with dry base rock unless you can be sure there are no hydroids present. That's all I got off the top of my head. Anyone want to chime in?

Sounds about right. Live brine but they can be trained to eat frozen brine. Lots of things to hold onto. Like perches and stuff. Should be almost a species only tank. A couple other fish work with them like pipe fish. I'd leave the tank running for a couple months after cycle before adding fish because they do better in very stable established tanks

So just to get it right seahorses can't have any type of other fish in the tank?

They can have a very select few. Pipefish, two spot goby, rains ford goby, hectors goby, those slow fish.

I know this a complete different topic but in the near future I wanted to try and get a reef tank going I have a tank that's 55g that I was just given so I just wanted to know what I would need..like lighting and that stuff anything you know would help alot!!

I'd suggest bare minimum two bulb T5HO for a 55, but four bulbs is MUCH better. There are lots of threads about newer LED fixtures if you can afford the upfront cost. Energy savings will make up for it. Other than that, high flow, clean water, space between corals, no coral eaters or rock movers. Lol

Back
Top Bottom