Seahorses with Clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
After transfering the clowns to the 29 gallon instead of of using it as a FW breeder (maybe I'll do the FW breeder tank early next year), I started thinking about sea horses. Most sources list sea horses as a "Species Only" tank, however my tank only has two Ocellaris clowns, which are far from aggressive, some cleaner shrimp, and a brittle star.

I was thinking the "Knobby Seahorse, (Hippocampus breviceps) but there are several others to consider.

Does anyone think this could work, or should I stick with a species only tanks for sea horses?

After having seahorses I would say it would not work. The clowns will not allow the seahorses to eat. They would starve to death. They eat kind of slow. Speaking of them you got me missing mine.

Attachments

• 100_0529_153.jpg
    100_0529_153.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 36
If you can do what I did to train them to feed outside of the tank you could do it .. I had one where I would put him in his own container and feed him in peace and quite , the way I would do it it was he was trained to see the container and swim into it I would then remove him and feed him ... then place back in he was never exposed to air ... he was also trained to eat from a pipette ,, feed the clowns away from him and then feed him from a pipette . It is alot of work but it can be done this is not really something for beginners and in a tank that is less than 9months old as they will graze through out the day be sure to get a captive bred and that he eating mysis ...
going for broke seahorse

Much of the time seahorses and pipefish can be trained at feeding stations. Personally, I tend to overfeed so the seahorses and pipefish can scavenge throughout the day, which is normal behavior. If you are dedicated and patient there shouldn't be a problem between the clownfish and seahorses.

Back
Top Bottom