Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah but there isn't any swimming space in a 6ft really when the fish has just been nabbed out of acres of water

Pair of German Blue Rams, Pair of Peacock Gobys, Venezuelan Corys, Long Finned Pepper Cory, Orange Neon Cory, Sterbai Corys, Albino Corys, Elegans Corys, Bronze Corys, Columbian Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Marble Hatchets, Zebra Danios, Red Finned Zebra Danio, African Dwarf Frog and Darwin the Cream and Blue Betta
steg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

or whatever the unit is for masses of water

Pair of German Blue Rams, Pair of Peacock Gobys, Venezuelan Corys, Long Finned Pepper Cory, Orange Neon Cory, Sterbai Corys, Albino Corys, Elegans Corys, Bronze Corys, Columbian Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Marble Hatchets, Zebra Danios, Red Finned Zebra Danio, African Dwarf Frog and Darwin the Cream and Blue Betta
Old 08-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

acre-inch and acre-foot
Old 08-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

The difference is 1.5 feet, which is actually a lot. It's adding 1/3 of your tank length. Yeah, 1.5 feet compared to trillions of gallons isn't a lot, but if you look at it as 1/3 of your tank, it becomes a big number. People who own adult triggers usually always recommend at least 6'. I have a baby and he zooms across the tank every single second. If you want to do what's right for the fish, just don't get a trigger. And if one day you want it to go mad and kill $500 of livestock, go ahead. It could take months, or even years. But it most likely will happen. If you want to argue with advice that you asked for, don't ask in the first place or maybe an advice forum isn't really for you.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO fish like Tangs and Triggers will do better with a 6' footprint. That being said, I also don't think that it's the end of the world if they are in less (within reason) when they are smaller. Especially if a site like LA says a 70g is okay. They get larger and you can rehome them or get a larger tank.

With Triggers, there is always the chance that you get one that is going to go nuts one day and start attacking everything. That could happen in a larger tank too. It depends on what your comfort level is with that possibility. It sounds like the OP was not 100% set on Triggers, so I'd suggest something else. There are many other really cool fish out there.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Chill your beans crister, you're making it sound like I'm not taking the advice. There will be no trigger i was just wondering why the 1.5 made a difference when you're catching it out the ocean. The list isn't concrete just the fish i would've liked. And anyway its a discussion forum and if you don't fancy the discussion then i'm sure i'll be able to curl up tonight and go sleep. Thanks for all the advice guys, ill pop some more pictures up of the sump and overflow build soon
Old 08-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol chill my beans..... Haha. I thought you were arguing to get a trigger. Sorry for the misunderstanding lol.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

No mate im just trying to understand why footprint is that important. Just learning as much as possible before i get wet
Old 08-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some fish like to cruise the reef. That means going for longer distances and more straight. Other fish are homebodies and just hang out in 1 area.
EXPERIENCE from reef keepers over time has shown that for these roaming fish there is a certain size tank they need to cruise in. For these tangs 6 feet has found to be suitable. Less has caused stress.
For the homebodies like clowns, total area is what's more important.
As our more experienced members point out , keeping a tang in a smaller tank is playing Russian roulette. Eventually you'll loose.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1. From experience I think triggers too... That's great that you're not just diving in and rushing. Thas the #1 mistake.

Tags
marine, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com