Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Self induced second cycle

So,like many of you have probably read my previous post, I think my 75g went through a VERY small cycle. I had only cured about 20lbs of LR in my tank, with 50lbs of already cured LR. So needless to say, my parameters only went up a few notches before falling to 0. Still worried that my water is still to new to house any fish yet, i put a few dead raw shrimp in my aquarium last night to set off a second cycle, to make sure that i am good to go. Just seeing if this was a wise move or not. Going to let it sit for another day and start checking my water. I'll probably not let the shrimp completly decompose in the tank, like the Fishless article instructed to do because i had a mini cycle, but maybe just use it to spike my anomia enough to make sure everything is gravy.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

if the 50 lbs was already cured you might not see much of a cycle. but putting the shrimp in the tank to check it is a good idea IMO. You can never be too careful when adding expensive fish.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckgearhead View Post
if the 50 lbs was already cured you might not see much of a cycle. but putting the shrimp in the tank to check it is a good idea IMO. You can never be too careful when adding expensive fish.

Ok cool. Thanks for the fast respoce. I knew it wasnt going to harm anything, but I just wanted to make sure I wasnt wasting my time just in case.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If your tank and LR is already cycle you`ll probably as mentioned above will not see much of cycle. Your water test kit will let you know.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

*UPDATE*

It's been two days since I threw the two raw shrimp in my tank. Yesterday, I also added about 35lbs of cured LR. So 48 hours after the shrimp and 24 hours after the LR addition, my parameters are still at at 0! Am I to assume that my tank is fully cycled and the bacteria is doing its job and ready for fish?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

By adding your shrimp and extra LR you increase the amount of good bacteria in your tank and you should be able to add a couple of fish to your tank now. Most people make the mistake in saying that their tank is cycled and add to many fish. Your tank is only cycled to the amount of ammonia that was in the system. As you add more life to the tank the bacteria has to buildup to handle the new load ie: ammonia level.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
By adding your shrimp and extra LR you increase the amount of good bacteria in your tank and you should be able to add a couple of fish to your tank now. Most people make the mistake in saying that their tank is cycled and add to many fish. Your tank is only cycled to the amount of ammonia that was in the system. As you add more life to the tank the bacteria has to buildup to handle the new load ie: ammonia level.
Awesome thanks for that good news! I'm gonna go ahead and set my QT tank up now and let it run for a solid day or so before buying fish to put in it. Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be aware that a new QT can have an ammonia spike when a fish is added so monitor ammonia and nitrite and do a PWC if needed.

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com