Semi Aggressive/Aggressive Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lightupthedarkness30

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,
My tank has been up and running for awhile now and i seem to be leaning towards a semi aggressive/aggressive tank and need some advice on livestock. Right now i have a bursa trigger and I added a sail fin tang yesterday. I also have a clown which i'm thinking I'm going to need to move as his tank mates are more aggressive. Any suggestions?

Having the tank size would help us make suggestions for you. Just a heads up Bursa triggers are extremely aggressive as they get older . It more than likely will kill all tankmates eventually .

Having the tank size would help us make suggestions for you. Just a heads up Bursa triggers are extremely aggressive as they get older . It more than likely will kill all tankmates eventually .

Yea, I read about that. i'm moving in a year and figure I'm going to have to part them out before he gets to be an adult and more aggressive. i have a 55g with live rock, 8 snails, 12 hermit crabs, and 29g sump with a protein skimmer rated way more than I need.

Not trying to be mean but in all honestly the tang and the trigger need a tank 125 gallons or larger. They will become very stressed and cramped in that tank . IMO I would restart the tank and go with something like a fuzzy dwarf lion and snowflake eel and maybe one or two other small fish.

Hondatek said:
Not trying to be mean but in all honestly the tang and the trigger need a tank 125 gallons or larger. They will become very stressed and cramped in that tank . IMO I would restart the tank and go with something like a fuzzy dwarf lion and snowflake eel and maybe one or two other small fish.

Yea, I'm thinking I might just do community tank. Easier to take care of then aggressive. I just hate having to restart. I can sell or trade with my local fish store tho. Any suggestions on livestock and order for that? My budgets tight. I like the bright colors and interesting swimming patterns (that's how I got myself in this mess in the first place, lol) the cheaper the better

I would say maybe a pair of clowns , a Toby type puffer like a valentini or saddleback , and something like a bangaii cardinal. Don't do the puffer if your worried about your inverts getting eaten though. I don't really do the community setup I do mostly predators so maybe someone else has a better ideas than me on that type of stock.

Hondatek said:
I would say maybe a pair of clowns , a Toby type puffer like a valentini or saddleback , and something like a bangaii cardinal. Don't do the puffer if your worried about your inverts getting eaten though. I don't really do the community setup I do mostly predators so maybe someone else has a better ideas than me on that type of stock.

Thanks for the advice. I needed someone to tell me what I already knew haha. I sold both the trigger and the tang to someone with a 125g. Time to restart and make a new plan

OMG!!!!! I absolutely love seeing people do the right thing. Thank you so much for doing what is best for the fish. I can't stand it when people ask for advice and argue with the truth. I hope this sets an example for the other people on this site. If you want to go pred, I would suggest the small puffers (Toby, valentini etc) and a fuzzy dwarf lion or fu manchu lion. If you're going community, a pair of clowns, a school of chromis and a goby would be cool. If you have a deep sand bed 4"+ than a jaw fish would look really awesome. Good luck!!!!!! We want pics when it's all done!!!!! Thx again!

I highly suggest a fuzzy dwarf lion fish! They are amazing! They can take a few weeks to get used to the new home but worth it. Alice (our FDLF) follows us whenever we are close to the tank and will watch us working on her tank on our small 8 gallon right next to hers. Watch her hunt is amazing! We are feeding live food still. When she sees the net she will squirt water at you. :) I love our fish!!

lovefishys said:
I highly suggest a fuzzy dwarf lion fish! They are amazing! They can take a few weeks to get used to the new home but worth it. Alice (our FDLF) follows us whenever we are close to the tank and will watch us working on her tank on our small 8 gallon right next to hers. Watch her hunt is amazing! We are feeding live food still. When she sees the net she will squirt water at you. :) I love our fish!!

I agree, I love dwarf lions, this is my dwarf antennata.

lovefishys said:

I'd like to set up another tank for preds, but sticking with community for this one. Thanks tho, i will definitely get one when I do, they sound/look awesome!

They are! We very much enjoy ours! We are getting a male in a few weeks for our female. Not going to breed (no home aquarist has successfully breed them) but to coexist you need the opposite sex.

if you don't have enough light for corals then you definitely don't have enough for an anemone. they require super high light, pristine water and an established tank. :)

As far as butterfly fish, I had a Kleins and he made it for about 2-3 months and just died one day out of the blue. He was eating frozen food like a pig so that wasn't the issue but he was healthy when I went to bed and dead the next am. I choose the Kleins because based on research they are supposed to be one of the easier butterflys to keep.

i know have a copperband butterfly in my 125g reef tank and it's been a few months and he is eating and doing well. The copperbands are notoriously hard to keep too so I am on the lookout for any issues. The one I got was hand fed and qt'ed for about 3 weeks before I got him so I felt a little better about getting him. Not sure if I would recommend a butterfly to anyone though, beautiful fish but really hard to keep alive.

Good luck with your tank though!

carey said:
if you don't have enough light for corals then you definitely don't have enough for an anemone. they require super high light, pristine water and an established tank. :)

As far as butterfly fish, I had a Kleins and he made it for about 2-3 months and just died one day out of the blue. He was eating frozen food like a pig so that wasn't the issue but he was healthy when I went to bed and dead the next am. I choose the Kleins because based on research they are supposed to be one of the easier butterflys to keep.

i know have a copperband butterfly in my 125g reef tank and it's been a few months and he is eating and doing well. The copperbands are notoriously hard to keep too so I am on the lookout for any issues. The one I got was hand fed and qt'ed for about 3 weeks before I got him so I felt a little better about getting him. Not sure if I would recommend a butterfly to anyone though, beautiful fish but really hard to keep alive.

Good luck with your tank though!

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom