Sent to the hospital?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovefishys

Aquarium Advice Activist
My husband and I gave someone a free serpent star and some snails. I advised them ahead of time that they will need to remove them as I will not be able to. While he was removing them I turned my back to talk to my daughter. Shortly after he said something stung him and ran warm water on his thumb. The only other things in the tank was 2 small pieces of live rock and some button polyps. After they left my husband noticed the button polyps had been ripped off and were missing. Would the polyps being ripped off be enough to send him to the hospital? He said it was from him thumb to armpit and he will be on medicine for about a week. I haven't heard of something like this happening.
Thanks

My husband and I gave someone a free serpent star and some snails. I advised them ahead of time that they will need to remove them as I will not be able to. While he was removing them I turned my back to talk to my daughter. Shortly after he said something stung him and ran warm water on his thumb. The only other things in the tank was 2 small pieces of live rock and some button polyps. After they left my husband noticed the button polyps had been ripped off and were missing. Would the polyps being ripped off be enough to send him to the hospital? He said it was from him thumb to armpit and he will be on medicine for about a week. I haven't heard of something like this happening.
Thanks

I have no idea, but what a situation... Did he try to take the polyps without your knowledge? Sorry that happened.

I have heard of people having allergic reactions to bristle worms, but for most it's just like touching fiberglass.
The same goes for palytoxin. It's very unlikely that it would go through the skin, but it's possible for those who have sensitive skin, and if so, yes, it's a very potent poison.

The polyps being ripped off and missing is a really weird coincidence. I also wonder if this guy was trying to steal them.

He did take them without our knowledge. We were wanting to keep them. He was showing interested in them and I said they aren't free or for sale. We noticed they were gone/damaged after they left. I haven't heard of it either! It's a crazy situation!

He did take them without our knowledge. We were wanting to keep them. He was showing interested in them and I said they aren't free or for sale. We noticed they were gone/damaged after they left. I haven't heard of it either! It's a crazy situation!
Wow....thieves, even in this hobby! what is the world coming to? Well, yes, he got what's coming to him, and you've learned a valuable lesson- Don't turn your back on strangers. :facepalm:

I would have never thought someone would steal fish stuff!! Never turning my back again! We put the stuff in a small 3 gallon tank so my husband could fix what our daughter destroyed (window cleaner on the sump, most everything died) we wanted to give the starfish and snails away for free so they wouldn't die waiting for us to fix the tank. All around so frustrating. I feel bad for him but also I feel like you stole from me so you get what you deserve I hope he doesn't come back after us.

If he did, I would show that he was stealing from you. IMO, the idiot got what he deserved. Amazing story!

Back
Top Bottom