Setting up 29 gal sw fo or fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is a penguin 170 a large enough filter if I go with the fo? I will be getting a skimmer (probally a skilter 250), I know no one likes them but it works for me. I'm thinking about sand and possibly some lr from Captive corals. I hear so many good things about them and their pictures are fantastic.

For a 29g SW I would go with the 330, if you go with a filter. Personally, if your going to do 30-45lbs of LR, I wouldn't use one, simply spend the money on some power heads and a skimmer ;)

Don't I need something to do the job until the lr take over? Sorry for the dumb questions. Also why sand instead of cc?

Don't I need something to do the job until the lr take over?

If the LR and sand are the first things added to the tank, then no, the LR will act as the biofilter from day one. You need to be careful with LR, you should not put LR into a tank with fish, until you are sure it is completely cured.

CC has a larger grain size and acts as a detritus trap, detritus will make it's way to the bottom of the cc bed and rot, this isn't as big a problem with sand. Also there are critters in LS that will eat the detritus that settles on the sand, cc is not a suitable substrate for these critters to live.

how can you make sure the live rock is completely cured? My LFS told me if I need cured live rock they will cure it for me...then once i pick it up after they cure it how can i be positive they cured it all the way??

Well there goes getting my lr from liverocks.com and sticking it in my 46 gal. Hmmmm maybe put all my fish in the 29 gal and convert my 46 gal to sand and add the lr. How long before I could put my little buddy's back in their big tank?

Back
Top Bottom