Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Starting new 6 feet tank

Hi guys hope you guys can give me some advice regarding setting up a FOWLR tank.

I have been keeping corals and fishes in a 20g high for 9 months now without any drama/problem. I heard that smaller tank is harder to keep than big tank therefore thinking if I have no drama with small tank should be no problem with bigger tank. I do 10% waterchange every week.

I am now thinking of going BIGGGGGGGGG setting up a 6 feet FOWLR tank. Now here are the questions:

- Do I necessary need metal halides? Or just normal fluorescent light will do? The main reason I go with FOWLR is that I don’t want to invest in metal halides and pay the huge electricity bill. Therefore I won’t be keeping any coral in this tank.
- Do I necessary need a protein skimmer with nil coral tank? My current nano tank is running skimmerless for 9 months as well without any problem (with corals in it). I did use the skimmer at one stage (about 1 month) but there wasn’t really much to skim that’s why I got rid of it. But I only have 3 shrimps, 2 ocellaris clowns, some hermit crabs. But this 6 feet big tank is going to house at least 10 to 15 fishes.
- How often do I need to do waterchange for this big tank?

Thanks for the help in advance guys. Really wish you can help me out.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Setting up 6 feet tank FOWLR

Hi guys hope you guys can give me some advice regarding setting up a FOWLR tank.

I have been keeping corals and fishes in a 20g high for 9 months now without any drama/problem. I heard that smaller tank is harder to keep than big tank therefore thinking if I have no drama with small tank should be no problem with bigger tank. I do 10% waterchange every week.

I am now thinking of going BIGGGGGGGGG setting up a 6 feet FOWLR tank. Now here are the questions:

- Do I necessary need metal halides? Or just normal fluorescent light will do? The main reason I go with FOWLR is that I don’t want to invest in metal halides and pay the huge electricity bill. Therefore I won’t be keeping any coral in this tank.
- Do I necessary need a protein skimmer with nil coral tank? My current nano tank is running skimmerless for 9 months as well without any problem (with corals in it). I did use the skimmer at one stage (about 1 month) but there wasn’t really much to skim that’s why I got rid of it. But I only have 3 shrimps, 2 ocellaris clowns, some hermit crabs. But this 6 feet big tank is going to house at least 10 to 15 fishes.
- How often do I need to do waterchange for this big tank?

Thanks for the help in advance guys. Really wish you can help me out.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think it will be a nice tank once you get it set up! Definately post pictures!Now for the questions.

1. No, you dont need metal halides if you are doing a FOWLR tank. The lighting on those tanks are personal preferance because there shouldnt be anything in your tank that requires light to feed.
2. I don't think you will need a skimmer for FOWLR but hopefully someone else can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.
3. For a new tank I would say once every week or two for about 3-4 months then after that maybe every 2-4 weeks should be fine. I don't have that big of a tank but I'm just pulling off of memory. HTH
Old 08-23-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the input. Anyone else? Really need to know what I'll be dealing with as it will be a very large investment that I am going to commit. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
You need a skimmer on any tank IMO, pulls out waste from the water. You dont want the fish swimming in their poo!!

Lighting is preferece for fish only tanks. NO lights will be fine.

I do water changes every 3-4 weeks
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

No, you do not have to go with metal halides if you are not going with coral. I have a 150 gallon FOWLR and I am using a Corallife 72" Power Compact. It lights the tank quite well considering it is 29" deep. I know what you mean with the electric bill. I am running the lights for 8 hours(384 watts), I also have a Mag 18 pumping the water back in the tank, a smaller Mag on the skimmer, two 300 watt heaters, and 4 powerheads. I also have a qt tank running all the time.

I think it is a good idea to use a skimmer. I use a skimmer and pull alot of waste out. I have about 150 lbs. of live rock right now and I would like to get more.

I do a 10-15% water change every 2-3 weeks.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I think you've gotten some goood advice so far. I'd still go with decent PC lighting with the white and blue strips. Better color for everything. But definitely no MHs. As your cok increases, it sees to require less skimiing. But I'd still plan on a skimmer in that setup. I'm at almost 1.5 lbs of LR per gallon in my tank and I run my skimmer only about 10% of the time, but I still do have one.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:19 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Definitely good advice.
I have a FOWLR and don't use a skimmer (I don't have the room). Consistant PWCs should suffice. There are some that swear by a skimmer. It definitely can't hurt, especially in a tank that size.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys. I will go ahead with the skimmer but if I am using a skimmer do I need any other form of filtration at all i.e. canister filter, hang on back filter etc etc. Or if I use a filter do I still need a skimmer? Or both are essential or a MUST for a 6 foot tank?

This tank is going to be 6 foot long, 1.5 foot wide and 2 foot high. My LFS told me if I use lots of liverocks I don't need a filter only a skimmer will do. I am also thinking of getting a wavemaker do you guys think it will give the wave effect in that size of tank?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:26 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
My LFS told me if I use lots of liverocks I don't need a filter only a skimmer will do.
It is suggested to have 1.5-2LBS of LR per gallon for proper filtration.
I use my filter for extra water movement and carbon, if I need to run it.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fowlr, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com