Setting up a FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DK_Reef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone I plan to set up a SW tank very soon. I have previously taken care of FW for 5 years.

I have researched for about 4 months on SW.

"Plan"

Tank: Currently I am looking at a 50 Gallon Seaclear Sys II.
Any reviews or experiences with one?

Filtration:
I was thinking of keeping the stock wet/dry filter but I heard they can become nitrate factories? Is that true for a FOWLR?
Chemi-pure elite in the media tray
Polyfilter floss

Rock:
25 pounds base rock
25 pounds live rock

Substrate:

Undecided I am thinking 20-40 pounds of base sand.

Stand:

Pretty much your standard aquarium stand

Lighting:

I am not sure on this either, I could go stock lighting 24 inch not sure on wattage PC. Recommendations?

I am good on cycle info and all misc items like Refractometer, test kits etc.

Stocking (All the organisms I would like to have after established over period of years)

CUC
1-2 Cleaner shrimp
Declivis Butterfly fish
Ignitus Anthias
Blue Chromis
Hawiian Flame Wrasse pair.

Welcome to AA!

Yes, Wet/Dry filters can become nitrate factories. <- This can be avoided though (By cleaning out the debris collected).

Wait for more input on the other things

Enjoy the forum :)

Anthias make you feed more often. I enjoyed being able to skip a day or 7 for that matter. Anthias have a faster metabolism or smaller stomachs, or both. Pretty but high maintenance. Just replace bio balls in the wet dry they say to decease the nitrate trapping thing bio balls do.

Hello thanks for the fast replies.

So taking the bioballs out once a month and rinsing them should be good?
(I assume with saltwater. )

Also is that anthias species fine for a 50 gallon? I read several sites they say 40-75 gallons. I went to the middle.

Back
Top Bottom