Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Yep. That too. I'm ordering tomorrow so I can consolidate the 36 and 29g tanks and get my basement back in order.

LittleParr, how ya making out?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
i love my remora, just put the pump on, plug in and let go...i did find it was noisy while breaking in (bout a week), but now is very quiet.. if i had a bioload, im sure it would do a great job, lol...

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the great discussion! I'm doing great...I've researched all the skimmers and I keep coming back to the remora. Few extra bucks, but if it's quiet and efficient it will be worth it. How exactly does the surface skimmer box work?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

The surface skimmer box just sets inside your tank or sump. It has two chambers, one for the pump to set in and one for the outflow. Very simple. It also has adjusting screws for leveling against the tank. When you see it, you'll understand it.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=AC3323
Old 05-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

is it necessary for just the remora?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not something you have to have but it does help the skimmer run more efficiently. It also helps get rid of the scum that lays on the surface of the water and has a sponge in the output to catch any micro bubbles to keep them out of the tank.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im not sure about this sites policy on linking to other forums so I will just post this quote that I found.

Quote:
I have owned several of these skimmers and enjoy their performance, small size and ease of operation.

There are 2 problems that people often complain about with these skimmers, though...some noise and microbubbles in the tank.

Well, there are few skimmers under $400 that dont have these minor issues, but luckily there are a few simple modifications you can make to the remora to help with this and hopefully enhance its performance.

First and foremost, there are 2 Remoras...the regular Remora and the Remora Pro. The Remora runs great on a Maxijett 1200 pump, but I have found exceptional performance with a Mag 3 pump as well. It all depends on what sort of room you want to use up in your tank. The Remora Pro runs great with a Mag 3 but can handle up to a Mag 7! I tried a Mag 9, but the water level is too high in the skimmer to get adequate foam.

There is a pre filter box available for these skimmers as well and it works to decrease microbubbles in the tank. I never used them only because I found them clunky and bulky and never found them to enhance the performance of the skimmer as much as I felt was worth the additional tank space.

You will see that most of the noise from this skimmer comes from the spray injector on the left hand side of the skimmer. An easy fix to this would be to get a piece of 2" thick foam about the size of the rectangular slot above the injector and slide it in there. You can easily cut a "U" shape to fit around the injector, as long as the foam is not interfering with the spray of water through the hole. This should cut the noise down considerably.

As far as the microbubbles go, you can place another piece of foam on the right hand side of the skimmer just behind the waterfall outlet. This will trap microbubbles before they have a chance to enter your tank. Make sure you clean this piece of foam every time you empty the collection cup.

Speaking of the collection cup...empty it OFTEN and clean the neck well. This will insure the optimal performance of the skimmer. It is not necessary to clean the entire skimmer more than once every 2 months, but when you do a 1/4 mixture of vinegar and water works well. Just dont be worried if the skimmer wont skim properly for a few days after a thorough cleaning...this is normal.

Keep the pump, whatever the model, clean and running smoothly to help with the performance of the remora.

Some people want to know if you can put a bag of media inside the skimmer. Well, there is one problem with this. A media bag will slow the exit of water up the skimmer and back into the tank. This causes a backup and therefore too much water in the skimmer so it cannot adequately produce foam. I would not recommend placing a media bag in the skimmer for this reason.

Hope this has been helpful to those of you who own remoras or are considering one. A great skimmer for the price. I am not affiliated with the company in any way but I thought I would post this because these questions pop up often in the hobby.

You can also find out more about the remora and remora pro at www.proteinskimmer.com
Old 05-28-2006, 11:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to mnestroy
Filter Box

Another nice thing about the filter box that they sell for the Remora is that it hides the pump...

The pump is pretty large..

I purchased mine about a month ago and its working great

Tags
remora, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com