setting up a remora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleParr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any links or pictures on how to properly set up a remora?
Should you go with a rio or maxi-jet pump, and what size should you have?

Well, a remora is a type of sucker fish that you see hanging on the sides of sharks etc. :lol: lol

But, the remora in this thread is referring to the AquaC Remora protien skimmer. ;)

lol Don't forget the relationship with the "hang on the side".lol
For the record, I love my remora pro. :D

I think I'm gonna replace my Bak Pak with one on my 36g QT tank. The tank is in a room beneath our bedromm - - and I can hear the Bak Pak too well. How is the Remora Pro w/noise?

It's very quiet. I never hear mine running. I'd also suggest the surface skimmer box if you decide to get the remora pro. It's worth the little extra. ;)

Yep. That too. I'm ordering tomorrow so I can consolidate the 36 and 29g tanks and get my basement back in order.

LittleParr, how ya making out?

i love my remora, just put the pump on, plug in and let go...i did find it was noisy while breaking in (bout a week), but now is very quiet.. if i had a bioload, im sure it would do a great job, lol...

Thanks for the great discussion! I'm doing great...I've researched all the skimmers and I keep coming back to the remora. Few extra bucks, but if it's quiet and efficient it will be worth it. How exactly does the surface skimmer box work?

It's not something you have to have but it does help the skimmer run more efficiently. It also helps get rid of the scum that lays on the surface of the water and has a sponge in the output to catch any micro bubbles to keep them out of the tank.

Im not sure about this sites policy on linking to other forums so I will just post this quote that I found.

I have owned several of these skimmers and enjoy their performance, small size and ease of operation.

There are 2 problems that people often complain about with these skimmers, though...some noise and microbubbles in the tank.

Well, there are few skimmers under $400 that dont have these minor issues, but luckily there are a few simple modifications you can make to the remora to help with this and hopefully enhance its performance.

First and foremost, there are 2 Remoras...the regular Remora and the Remora Pro. The Remora runs great on a Maxijett 1200 pump, but I have found exceptional performance with a Mag 3 pump as well. It all depends on what sort of room you want to use up in your tank. The Remora Pro runs great with a Mag 3 but can handle up to a Mag 7! I tried a Mag 9, but the water level is too high in the skimmer to get adequate foam.

There is a pre filter box available for these skimmers as well and it works to decrease microbubbles in the tank. I never used them only because I found them clunky and bulky and never found them to enhance the performance of the skimmer as much as I felt was worth the additional tank space.

You will see that most of the noise from this skimmer comes from the spray injector on the left hand side of the skimmer. An easy fix to this would be to get a piece of 2" thick foam about the size of the rectangular slot above the injector and slide it in there. You can easily cut a "U" shape to fit around the injector, as long as the foam is not interfering with the spray of water through the hole. This should cut the noise down considerably.

As far as the microbubbles go, you can place another piece of foam on the right hand side of the skimmer just behind the waterfall outlet. This will trap microbubbles before they have a chance to enter your tank. Make sure you clean this piece of foam every time you empty the collection cup.

Speaking of the collection cup...empty it OFTEN and clean the neck well. This will insure the optimal performance of the skimmer. It is not necessary to clean the entire skimmer more than once every 2 months, but when you do a 1/4 mixture of vinegar and water works well. Just dont be worried if the skimmer wont skim properly for a few days after a thorough cleaning...this is normal.

Keep the pump, whatever the model, clean and running smoothly to help with the performance of the remora.

Some people want to know if you can put a bag of media inside the skimmer. Well, there is one problem with this. A media bag will slow the exit of water up the skimmer and back into the tank. This causes a backup and therefore too much water in the skimmer so it cannot adequately produce foam. I would not recommend placing a media bag in the skimmer for this reason.

Hope this has been helpful to those of you who own remoras or are considering one. A great skimmer for the price. I am not affiliated with the company in any way but I thought I would post this because these questions pop up often in the hobby.

You can also find out more about the remora and remora pro at www.proteinskimmer.com

Filter Box

Another nice thing about the filter box that they sell for the Remora is that it hides the pump...

The pump is pretty large..

I purchased mine about a month ago and its working great

Back
Top Bottom