Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Setting up a sump filtration system - siphon?

I am setting up a sump filtration system for my 65-gal FOWLR tank. I have a CPR CS102 overflow cannister to control the water delivery to the sump. I have all the plumbing set up, but am undecided on how to handle the siphon in the overflow cannister. The instructions that came with the CS102 recommend an Aqua Lifter air pump as the preferred solution, but I've read some complaints about these. 2nd recommendation is to use a PH such as the MaxiJet 1200, connecting the air nipple on the siphon compartment to the air inlet of the PH, which can be located in either the main tank or the sump. Another alternative is to just attach a flex tube to the air nipple, with a check valve, and suck the air out by mouth.

Appreciate any suggestions.

TIA

Bob

Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
wow..that's a large overflow box for a 65! you need a pump to match it. i would have chosen a cs90 for your tank.

don't go with a mj1200, use the aqualifter. you just have to replace them every year or so. the rubber seals inside the pump tend to wear out over time and they get less effective.
the mj will put air bubbles in the water- you don't want that in a salt tank.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Re: large overflow cannister for my tank

I did wonder about its size, and particularly its dual outlet flex hoses. I'm sure I could have done fine with a smaller outlet cannister; guess this is what the LFS guy had. I have a Rio 17 pump for the return, which I've plumbed with a "Y" to dual return outlet sprayers.

BTW what's wrong with bubbles in a SW tank? They are they key feature of protein skimmers. I thought the more aeration the better.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Airr bubbles cause salt splash and you would get salt all over the place. Not to mention bubbles on your front glass of your DT.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeitzke View Post
I did wonder about its size, and particularly its dual outlet flex hoses. I'm sure I could have done fine with a smaller outlet cannister; guess this is what the LFS guy had. I have a Rio 17 pump for the return, which I've plumbed with a "Y" to dual return outlet sprayers.

BTW what's wrong with bubbles in a SW tank? They are they key feature of protein skimmers. I thought the more aeration the better.
Which is why baffles are used in a sump after the skimmer
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

aeration, salt splash

So, aeration good, salt splash bad. On my tank I have an additional lid that I've cut to surround the various tubes as closely as practical. I do get salt build-up on the top surface of the tank and the back, but none on the front.

I am somewhat concerned about salt buildup around the sump tank, considering that it is totally open. I think most of the salt buildup comes from evaporation rather than splash. I've been wondering whether I might need to set up a fan to minimize the humidity in the under-tank sump cabinet.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
if you are seeing salt on the outsides of the sump tank there are tiny amounts of splashing. it's not from evaporation. when your tank evaporates, the salt stays in the water and the salinity increases. none of it leaves the tank except when it's jettisoned from the tank via a popping air bubble or splash. if it stays on the wall when the sump level drops, when you fill it back up it should disappear.

i've used fans to help with cooling, but it will increase evaporation. i didn't mind this drawback, but someone without an auto top-off might.

here's an old 125 softy tank i had. you can see the 2 fans, one on the tank and one on the sump-

it nearly doubled the evap, but it sure did help with heating the apartment!

Tags
filtration, filtration system, setting up, siphon, stem, sump, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com