Setting up a tank were is the ammonia coming from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexgoodyear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI,

I have set up my tank as decribed in the user guide, is a 38L tank i have got the correct salt levels and temparature, but on day after i set it up the ammonia level was 1.5ppm with 0ppm nititate on day 2 the levels have gone up to 8ppm ammonia and 0.25ppm nitrite, I have given the tank no source of ammonia or nitrite the only additional thing i have put in is stress zyme+ once the temperature of the tank stablized. i have not introduced any live rocks with the intention of manually dosing the tank with pure ammonia to cycle the tank.

Were is this ammonia comming from? do i need to bother manual adding ammonia?

i assume that once the level of ammonia and nitrites have peak and returned to 0 i can introduces the 1st fish? how long after the levels return to 0 do i introduce the fish, is there a risk of the good bacteria dieing off if there is no source of ammonia?

thanks

Alex
A COMPLETE NOVICE!!

thanks for the article, but this does not explain how my tank has got to 8ppm ammonia with what i can see as no ammonia source

Is stress zyme suppposed to cycle a tank or something? I don't get it. you just got water, salt, and sand maybe in this tank? And only added stress zyme.What isit supposed to do?

2 things maybe. Get your ammonia test confirmed at the lfs, and suspect your test kit may not work right.

I have put ceramic filter media in, aged tap water, i was going to obtain some gravel from a friends established tank and then use neat ammonia that i was going to get from the labs at work in extrememly small amounts to lift the ammonia level to around 5ppm to cycle the tank, i have been told to repeatly add the right amount of ammonia to lift it to 5ppm untill the tank can get from 5ppm to 0ppm in 24hrs or less.

I have tested just plain tap water and the test kit reads 0, this would suggest that the test kit works. I here something in the ceramic filter media that may be causing ammonia to spike?

If you really do have ammonia coming from somwhere, then no , you don't need to add more. Just monitor it and let the tank cycle.

I'd follow austin's advice though and take a water sample to the fish store and make sure your ammonia test is working correctly.

Dunno what Stress Zyme is. I'm also not knowledgeable about adding pure ammonia. I think those with FW tanks do it. Still confused about how ya get that 1.5 ppm ammonia from tap though.

Didja add the pure ammonia yet? Conisdered raw shrimp instead? The articles section here can help with that. It's be best to add your rock before you do cycle the tank with ammonia. That's where the bacteria the cycle create livesfor the most part.

Dunno what Stress Zyme is. I'm also not knowledgeable about adding pure ammonia. I think those with FW tanks do it. Still confused about how ya get that 1.5 ppm ammonia from tap though.

Didja add the pure ammonia yet? Conisdered raw shrimp instead? The articles section here can help with that. It's be best to add your rock before you do cycle the tank with ammonia. That's where the bacteria the cycle create livesfor the most part.

I went the pure ammonia route. It was a piece of cake.

Just add a capful of ammonia and test, if it's not enough pour another cap in and test....and so on until you get a reading of 2-5 ppm.

Then just sit and wait for the cycle. You shouldn't need to add anymore unless you see the levels of ammonia drop really low..maybe add one more cap after your ammonia turns to nitrites. That is all I did and in two weeks I had nitrates , brown algae, and was cycled.

Very easy. I would do it again ! ( and you don't have to worry about torturing a Damsel :D )

Live-rock and live sand speeds up the process for sure. You don't need to fill your tank with LR right away, but at least add a couple pieces to help with the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom