Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

partialwater change duh

ZERO--crushed coral will lead to nitrate problems, Why? and how?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
is back to save the day!

The reason being.. Because of the large shapes, and rigidity of crushed coral.. waste, detritus, and other things fall through the empty spaces, and build up and start to rot. This leads to nitrate problems. And just doing simple vacuuming.. won't get to the very bottom where all of the seriously bad stuff falls through to. Crushed coral was just a product made problem. At least in my opinion. If you are doing some serious maintenance as i said.. and like moving the CC around everyday to get to the places where normal vacuuming can't get to.. then clearly you will not have those problems listed above. But most people DON'T do that sort of maintenance.. nor do they want to. Sand just keeps all of the waste on top, and makes it easy for you to either vacuum or the top.. or for your clean up crew to just eat it.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
The reason being.. Because of the large shapes, and rigidity of crushed coral.. waste, detritus, and other things fall through the empty spaces, and build up and start to rot. This leads to nitrate problems. And just doing simple vacuuming.. won't get to the very bottom where all of the seriously bad stuff falls through to.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was going to ask the same question but realized once posted you'll answered...Well i have crushed coral and hadn't had any nitrate issues....I'm realy condused on that statement. To add insult to injury lol...i also had a undergroundfilter....lol..still no issue...?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
Food and waste can't get down into the sand, cc has enough space between the bits to allow food and waste to get down in those teeny holes between the bits of coral. This food and poop will sit and rot and collect. There's no real way you can get this food out, so it will just collect and rot until it becomes a problem for your water quality.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Zero, I had a feeling that was what you were going to say, This is really crazy that is the reason I went for coral instead of sand when I vacum I go straight down to the glass sucking up all debri having cichlid for years and as messy as they are made me do big cleaning as I thought this over it bothered me that with sand I would not be able to get down deep, I have deep rock in my cichlid tanks as well.

Does that make sence?

You might say I am some what of a clean freek I dont want a bunch of stuff growing all over everywhere, if my fish need algae or seaweed I will put it on a clip.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #17
is back to save the day!

Well see, as i said, people who do serious maintenance and get all of the waste out from between the crushed coral.. clearly will not have the same problems as someone who doesn't clean as vigorous as you do. Even people who just vacuum the top of the crushed coral will have problems since they can't get all the way down to the bottom where most of the detritus and waste accumulates. But since you can, i don't see how there will be any problems.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Going to pick up a couple uncook shrimp tomorrow and get this thing going Thanks for all the input everyone I hope this is my last tank I am running out of places to put them, But I could build a building for Fish, I do have a pond full of catfish and other creatures about 50 ft by 50 8ft deep havent tried catching any in years. I had been told that they wouldnt mutiply in a small pond, I sunk a bunch of PVC pipe in there years ago and after I sunk the PVC we had a bunch of little catfish.

Tags
puffer, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com