Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Setting up another SW tank, Dog Face Puffer

MY first tank is a great success so now I am setting up a second all based around a Dog Face Puffer when I first saw this fish in a store I new I had to have him, the fish was sold first question is.

Who online do you feel best to buy fish from ? petsolution has some as of yesterday.

What other fish would be good tank mates.

My new 56 gal Tall tank will be Fish Only

Old 09-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
puffer should live by itself, u can try other puffer, fish that a bigger, or more aggressive fish, but not recommended, cuz puffer need a lot space.

don't even try to put invert if u r planning to
they might seems to do well, but if one day or two you forget to feed your dog face, the inverts will probably be gone.
thats my experience, u don't wanna know how many inverts I have lost cuz I wanna try to make my porcupine live with my invert. LOL
never order fish online, but here is one that Zero recommended to me.
https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/index.asp
I would try to get the puffer at your LFS, since they poop when they r stress in a bag, so if the shipping takes too long, it might hurt it a little.
IMO overnight its still too long, when I bought my porcupine, only take 5mins from LFS to my home, and that fat porcupine alread made a mess in the bag.

let me know if u have any questions on puffer, I might able to help.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
I ordered from blue zoo, and I was pretty happy with my purchase. I'd order from them again.

My plate didn't look good and they were really nice about it. I don't mind if something comes up badly, but more how they'll fix the issue and they seem to be pretty good about sorting out any problems.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

okay, thanks I have done some research on the dog face and know not to put inverts in with it, and have read about other mate she will do well with just thinking someone may have a dog face that has been working well I have read that some tangs do well, like the yellow and even a lady had wrote she had a Perk in with the dog. thanks again I will check zoo.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to melissasreef
I have a small porc. puffer with a niger trigger, minitis grouper, a yellow tang, and a rabbit fish
all r happy and have lots of hiding places. I have found that more frequent h2o changes due to wasye and sloppy eatting.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, I will look those fish up and read about them
Old 09-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissasreef View Post
I have a small porc. puffer with a niger trigger, minitis grouper, a yellow tang, and a rabbit fish
all r happy and have lots of hiding places. I have found that more frequent h2o changes due to wasye and sloppy eatting.
Melissa brings up an excellent point. You`ll need to keep on top of the PWC`s as they are very sloppy eaters and your excessive nutrients will be sky high.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Puffers are sloppy eaters in comparison to a oscar or a jack? what does PWc mean.

I do a water change every 2 wks and I have crushed coral in one tank and plain old white rock in the new one with some of my coral from the other I vacum 1/2 the substrate each time with a python, thats 4 tanks Three 50+ and one 75 good thing im retired.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Pwc= partial water change
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
is back to save the day!

PWC = Partial water change.

My suggestion to you and your tank.. get rid of the crushed coral substrate. It will lead to nitrate problems that you don't want to deal with down the road. Unless your doing some SERIOUS maintenance on it.. it will start to head south in the future.

Tags
puffer, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com