setting up tank for salt water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ididit1119

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to get my 55 gallon tank set up for salt water but I am new to this whole aquarium deal. I need help first thing first is my filter system. The tank came with 2 Eheim 2215 canisters but everyone I see has the wet/dry trickle system with protein skimmers. I plan only to have a few fish in this tank with about 75 pounds of live rock. but before I even buy the live rock I am wanting to get started off on the right foot with my filter system. I need advice and in elementary terms. I am in the process of finding a aquarium store to help me but everyone seems to busy or wants to sell me everything in the store. Can someone help with what I need to get the tank ready for fish?

Ill let the experts go into more detail into this one for you, but theres several types of filters you can do depending on what you plan on doing now and / or in the long run. For a very simple set up you could get away with maybe two HOB filters + protein skimmer + 1 1/2 - 2 # of live rock. I know more people perfer to do a sump / refugium, or a wet dry filter, especially if you're planning on getting more sensitive fish or corals later on. Protein skimmer is a must have for any size.

If you have the money, go for the more expensive option.. then no worries about upgrading later ;) Though if you're brand new, and tight on money, a basic set up will do for now... these people are very helpful and freindly... dont be affriad to ask any questions! Certainly check here before buying anything at the LFS, especially if you're uncertain. It'll save you a lot!

The links Innovator gave you in your other thread are a good start to learn. My suggestion is to sit down with a couple good books and get a good basis of information so you can ask more pointed questions to your LFS and know when they're just trying to sell you stuff...

"The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Palleta
"The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner

Back
Top Bottom