Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2011, 02:51 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with you Henry, but the chances are against him. I wish you the best of luck with your tank and really do hope you can take the fish back in the morning. Just do your best to keep water flowing, turn of the light so it's less stressful, and let's hope he makes it till the morning. Keep us posted and if you need help setting up or starting over, feel free to ask! That's what we're here for! Best wishes.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, what should I change it? Maybe two gallons biweekly? How would I go about storing the leftover, just leave it under the tank? I let my house regulate the temperature of the tank, house is always 78, tank is 78.4 exactly.

I usually change my FW once a week, it's a 30gal, I do about 10 to 15g or so, but it's slightly overstocked at least until tomorrow morning when I donate some fish.

And yes, I get it for about 9 dollars. It's cheaper considering gas is nearly four dollars a gallon and the only other fish specialty stores are 20+ miles away.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do need some advice.

If he doesn't make it til the morning, will the cycle continue? I don't know what my ammonia source would be. I read though that they can sometimes withstand the cycle, they're kind of akin to the danio in regards to fish-in cycles? Cruel, though...

Should I pick up some more rock? I'd say it's 10lbs, give or take, it can act as my biological filter. I have a four stage filter, has some floss and carbon in it. I have mature media in my tropical tanks but I'm leary on using it in a SW...
Old 04-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well once it's set up I would change 1g weekly. That way you can always keep your parameters in check. Just know with a 10 it's easy to overstock. So a weekly change will help you keep it under control.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Leftover SW can be stored as long as it is closed tightly to not allow evaporation.

If the damsel does not make it, you can use it's dead body as an ammonia source (yes this is cruel, but its basically the same as using a shrimp).

10lbs of LR is good enough, but having more wouldnt help. It's usually suggested to have 1-2lbs of LR per gallon.

Don't use your media from your FW. SW bacteria is different.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:09 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well if he dies, he'd make an excellent source if ammonia. That being said with fingers crossed, your cycle will continue as long as ammonia has been introduced. More live rock would definatley help. Especially if it's been in a tank that's been established. Buying water from an established tank is a waste of money, the bacteria needed isn't free roaming in the water, it is on surfaces like live rock or your filter media. It's cheaper to premix your own water the day before a PWC. I get my RO water from walmart for 88 cents a gallon or 1.58 for 5 gallons.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, alright... maybe I'll add one more little piece tomorrow, kinda broke the bank between this and a new laptop today, so I don't want to indulge in anything unless absolutely necessary.

I'll test my water tomorrow. If a cycle is happening, I should get some ammonia readings by then, right? We sell beneficial bacteria as well as bottles of "ammonia remover, ph buffer, and marine elements"

Doubt they work, but are they worth a shot..?
Old 04-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't waste anymore money on buffers or ammonia removers. IMO they do more harm than good. Let nature do it's thing. It's the only thing proven to work.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If there's on thing I've learned for my three tanks is that this hobby tests your patience. I did some dumb a** things with my first tank due to bad advice. But we live and we learn. Keep me posted on your readings tomorrow. If you have a good ammonia spike then we're on the right track. As for your fish, do try and take him back. As ill as he looks, he won't eat. Trying to feed him will only make your ammonia spike faster and due to his weakend state he wouldn't last.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:34 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think an ammonia reading by tomorrow might be too soon, but if there was ammonia and the test shows zero, a test of nitrite and nitrate would tell if any ammonia was present at all.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, setup, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com