Setup my saltwater tank today..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do I do in regards to evaporation? How quickly will it happen? The tank has a lid that covers about 75 percent of the water. Temp is 78. Would I top off with dechlorinated tap water? How much..? My hydrometer doesn't give to the decimal readings, it'll tell me if it's within a certain range, and it says it's without 1.20 and 1.30.

Unless you have a suicidal fish, it's best to go topless on the tank, better gas exchange, less CO2 in your tank. As far as evaporation goes, on a 10g without the lid you'll have to top off about everyday. Any fluctuation on such a small tank can be detrimental to your inhabitants. Just keep a spare gallon jug with RO water in it to top off daily. Do not, and I stress out, do not use tap water. Even if "treated" it'll still have all the nutrients algae needs to flourish. It's best to start off right than to try and fix later.

I cant go glass-less... it's covering 50 percent of the tank now, the light was free and incased within glass, decent light too, don't have money for another. ):

Couldn't I just buy RO water at a store? Will distilled work, or is it the same thing? Lol

Yes, it'll say distilled or RO and you can buy that anywhere. Make sure it doesn't say spring water or added nutrients. I understand about the top with the lights. You should be fine. Do you have a yes kit for ammonia, nitrates, ph?

you set a water level and you top off to get back to that same water level. Since you bought premixed SW, the salinity should be in the correct range. When water evaporates, it leaves behind the salt so your salinity goes up, adding RO or DI water to fill the tank back to it's original water level and decrease salinity back to it's original range that came as premixed saltwater

He works at a LFS so he tests his water there for free

You got all that for $115? Is that normal pricing or was it on special?

I work at LFS. I get a hella discount.

The fish is doing great. I honestly think it was the acclimation, he probably had a salinity shock, LFS salinity is .017 :|

I added some hermit crabs, a turbo snail, and 8 lbs of live rock, rich with coraline. Bought a hydrometer too, salinity is .024 :)

That's good to hear. Just make sure and keep an extra close eye on your parameters for the next couple weeks. I'm glad you added more rock.

you should really stop adding more animals to your tank. That includes any CUC. Also, a hydrometer is very inaccurate. If your LFS has a refractometer, I would just use that.

Back
Top Bottom