Setup my saltwater tank today..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultimatedc

Aquarium Advice Activist
All in all, spent about 115 dollars. I got...

10lbs of marine sand
10lb of live, cultured rock
Hood and 20w florescent light
10g tank
20g filter
thermometer/hydrometer combo thingy, cheap, but works alright..
powerhead for 30g
Zebra damsel fish
10g of premixed saltwater
1 hermit crab

I have a question...

It's probably due to acclimation, but I bought the damselfish and just threw him in the tank. I was worried he would suffocate, I had him in his bag for about 2 hours setting up the tank. He has been hiding but now just hangs in the top corner. He's gasping for air and his fins are moving fast. I dunno if he was healthy to begin with, but I'm concerned. I didn't want him for cycling purpose, I work at the LFS and he was bullied by the other fish and I felt bad.

Is he probably just really stressed? Is their a decent level of oxygen? The powerhead isn't running. When it was, it would just spew my water around and all I seen was sand flying everywhere, or salt, I have no clue. It was awful, could barely see into the tank.

The water I used is premixed and sold in 5g bags. It says that it is the right ph and salinity, and my rock has some red algae on it. Dunno if it's "Good", again, nabbed it from my LFS tanks.

Anyway, here is a short video of the aquarium. Any tips/suggestions? Don't say get a water test kit.. I can test it for free at my job! :cool:

Be sure to play in HD:)

The tank is pretty bare bones ATM, LFS has outrageous rock prices, gonna pick up some zuffa rock tomorrow and let it culture. :)

First, I just wanted to say that I am not trying to be harsh or anything, but just stating facts.

I'm not sure why the damsel is acting like that, but here is a list of possible reasons.

The damsel would prob had been better being bullied compared to being stuck into a fresh tank with terrible water parameters. I would bring him back if possible. It'll be like being bullied on the playground or being stuck in a trashcan. Same with the hermit.

If you test the water and there is ammonia, I would start doing 10% water changes daily to drop it because it is lethal to the fish.

Not acclimating him is prob the second reason why he's acting like that. Although being in the bag for 2 hours would had sucked, it prob was better than being through into new water. I had a fish in a bag for 2 hours and he was still fine. Ammonia builds up a little and oxygen runs low, but its still better.

Is there decent water movement from the filter? if the surface is calm, that might be why he's getting low oxygen.

The red algae on the rocks is actually coraline algae and its good, don't scrape it off.

The premix salt water should be OK too.

Not to be mean but if you just set this up today it is in NO WAY ready for any type of animal. He's struggling now and it's a shame to see that video. He won't make it. Your cycle hasn't even started and your ammonias are going to spike up like crazy. If he doesn't die before then he will certainly die during the spike, along with your invert. I hope you can take him back before it's too late. But judging from your video it already is too late. Also, your fish is stressed out enough being in a tank that is inhabitabal, poking it to make it move won't help it's chances out any. Don't be upset when he dies.

To be helpful: don't due water changes when your ammonia spikes, you want your bacteria to build up to be able to handle all the ammonias and nitrites in your tank. It's part of the cycle. Just let nature take it's course and when you tank finishes cycling, you'll be ready for life.

To be helpful: don't due water changes when your ammonia spikes, you want your bacteria to build up to be able to handle all the ammonias and nitrites in your tank. It's part of the cycle. Just let nature take it's course and when you tank finishes cycling, you'll be ready for life.

This is very true, but IF the damsel does stay alive, he should do PWC to keep the ammonia level down. This will prolong the cycle, but it'll give the damsel a fighting chance.

I understand how cycles work, but I was misinformed.

I know a fair amount about tropical, however, I am being trained at work in the saltwater section. I was told I could throw this rock in there as it was cultured and my water, combined with the petco water, should be fine.

Unfortunately I took the advice, again, I do apologize.. I don't know much about saltwater.

I will try and take him back in the morning. I was under the impression I would get a mini-cycle at best and I meant to poke the water to flush him out so people could get a glimpse at his behavior.

I can't do partial water changes either. My plan is biweekly, 5 gallon water changes. I have to buy the water, I don't have an RO/DI unit.

Ugh, I feel AWFUL. He is a wonderfully beautiful fish... I can MAYBE change about a gallon or so of water right now, as I have about a gallon left..

On a side note, I figured out why the powerhead was doing it. It had a hose meant to be attached to the intake and hang outside the tank, spewing in air bubbles. Wasn't sand, just air bubbles. I'm not smart D:

I've been to petco quite a few times + talked to another member on here that works at petco and their water is EXPENSIVE! I believe the other member said that he gets the water for around $9 and that's with a discount. I would def go to another LFS if possible because other stores because I get mine for $4 for 5g.

People do get only minicycles with moving LR from one that to another, but that's usually from pretty established tanks. I bought 36lbs of LR for my 36g and it still cycled for 2 weeks. Theres quite a lot of die off from the LR being transported from a supplier to the store.

Biweekly 5g changes for 10g tank is A LOT, just cut it to 1g a day which is actually lower. Don't do the PWC yet until you tested for ammonia. Only do the PWC when ammonia is present

I agree with you Henry, but the chances are against him. I wish you the best of luck with your tank and really do hope you can take the fish back in the morning. Just do your best to keep water flowing, turn of the light so it's less stressful, and let's hope he makes it till the morning. Keep us posted and if you need help setting up or starting over, feel free to ask! That's what we're here for! Best wishes.

Well, what should I change it? Maybe two gallons biweekly? How would I go about storing the leftover, just leave it under the tank? I let my house regulate the temperature of the tank, house is always 78, tank is 78.4 exactly.

I usually change my FW once a week, it's a 30gal, I do about 10 to 15g or so, but it's slightly overstocked at least until tomorrow morning when I donate some fish.

And yes, I get it for about 9 dollars. It's cheaper considering gas is nearly four dollars a gallon and the only other fish specialty stores are 20+ miles away.

I do need some advice.

If he doesn't make it til the morning, will the cycle continue? I don't know what my ammonia source would be. I read though that they can sometimes withstand the cycle, they're kind of akin to the danio in regards to fish-in cycles? Cruel, though...

Should I pick up some more rock? I'd say it's 10lbs, give or take, it can act as my biological filter. I have a four stage filter, has some floss and carbon in it. I have mature media in my tropical tanks but I'm leary on using it in a SW...

Well once it's set up I would change 1g weekly. That way you can always keep your parameters in check. Just know with a 10 it's easy to overstock. So a weekly change will help you keep it under control.

Leftover SW can be stored as long as it is closed tightly to not allow evaporation.

If the damsel does not make it, you can use it's dead body as an ammonia source (yes this is cruel, but its basically the same as using a shrimp).

10lbs of LR is good enough, but having more wouldnt help. It's usually suggested to have 1-2lbs of LR per gallon.

Don't use your media from your FW. SW bacteria is different.

Well if he dies, he'd make an excellent source if ammonia. That being said with fingers crossed, your cycle will continue as long as ammonia has been introduced. More live rock would definatley help. Especially if it's been in a tank that's been established. Buying water from an established tank is a waste of money, the bacteria needed isn't free roaming in the water, it is on surfaces like live rock or your filter media. It's cheaper to premix your own water the day before a PWC. I get my RO water from walmart for 88 cents a gallon or 1.58 for 5 gallons.

Well, alright... maybe I'll add one more little piece tomorrow, kinda broke the bank between this and a new laptop today, so I don't want to indulge in anything unless absolutely necessary.

I'll test my water tomorrow. If a cycle is happening, I should get some ammonia readings by then, right? We sell beneficial bacteria as well as bottles of "ammonia remover, ph buffer, and marine elements"

Doubt they work, but are they worth a shot..?

I wouldn't waste anymore money on buffers or ammonia removers. IMO they do more harm than good. Let nature do it's thing. It's the only thing proven to work.

If there's on thing I've learned for my three tanks is that this hobby tests your patience. I did some dumb a** things with my first tank due to bad advice. But we live and we learn. Keep me posted on your readings tomorrow. If you have a good ammonia spike then we're on the right track. As for your fish, do try and take him back. As ill as he looks, he won't eat. Trying to feed him will only make your ammonia spike faster and due to his weakend state he wouldn't last.

I think an ammonia reading by tomorrow might be too soon, but if there was ammonia and the test shows zero, a test of nitrite and nitrate would tell if any ammonia was present at all.

Back
Top Bottom