Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #71
AA Team Emeritus

You'd be better off using the squid heads as a vessel to gut-load iodine tabs or a basic shark tab (mazuri) and incorporating other, better options for feeding in case squid is all you offer Solid foods, unless injected with a thich serum, usually won't "soak in " a solution and your liquid simply disperses as soon as it hits water.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator
You'd be better off using the squid heads as a vessel to gut-load iodine tabs or a basic shark tab (mazuri) and incorporating other, better options for feeding in case squid is all you offer Solid foods, unless injected with a thich serum, usually won't "soak in " a solution and your liquid simply disperses as soon as it hits water.
What do you feed your sharks ?

I'm fairly new to owning one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it true not to feed them frozen from a store that is for human consumption because it has a lot of additives and preservative
Old 05-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #74
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
I keep small sharks, rays, and other marine life for a living (in case you wonder of my exp. ). At birth earthworms, black worms, frozen mysis, and ghost shrimp. If I must force-feed it's usually a carnivore diet (like canned dog food). As juvies/adults I feed capelin, shrimp, silversides, squid heads/tentacles, shrimp, and sometimes herring. Sharks can be picky and their tastes as juvies can change as they age. They get a different food item every feeding, at least 3 times weekly.
If you purchase food from a grocery store just look at the nutritional label and make sure there aren't any additives. The best source is by going to an Asian Market as most I've been to offer raw and/or untreated seafood.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya cause 90% of store around here r full of additives
Old 05-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Freak

checked today.

No additives.

Inno, what do you feed your sharks? And could you post up some pics of your sharks?

What iodine supplement do you use?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #77
AA Team Emeritus

"My sharks" belong to my work so I cannot post pictures of them. Post #74 shows what I feed them. I do not use Iodine supplements except on a blacktip I care for, which gets Mazuri Shark Tabs.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What aquarium do you work for
Old 05-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator
Squid is primarily water based other than the head region (brain and tentacles) and best used as a vessel for gut-loading vitamins. For a newborn you'll prob be feeding portions more frequently (at least 3 times weekly) and can be judged by the size of the outer gut region. Once they approach juvenile stage they can be slowed to maintain proper weight control (you don't want an overweight shark). Sharks really aren't that messy while feeding unless feeding messy/oily/fatty foods since they tend to gulp their meals. What comes out on the other end is another story. I'd perform water changes for a newborn at least every other week due to their sensitivities.
So I just feed my shark live shrimp he loved it and it was cheap is that a meaty food for him it didn't look like it
Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been thinking of switching because of the oil in the silversides

Tags
shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com