Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2016, 12:46 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've hatched a number of these sharks in the stores I've worked in and have found 2 foods that usually work great. (First off, look at the shark's belly. If you see red in it, you don't have enough oxygen in the water to support the shark so you will need to address that first before you will get him to eat.)
The 2 foods are fresh clams and bait squid. I went to the local fish market and got live cherrystone or little neck clams and slit one open and made sure I cut into the "meat" of the clam then put the half shell in front of the shark so that he could smell the food and go to it itself. Squid: go to the local bait and tackle store and get a small pack of bait squid. You will need to clean it out but keep the tentacles. Cut the body into thin strips and then cut the strips into approx 1" pieces. These pieces should appear to flutter in the water which should attract the shark to eat it as well. Use tongs or a stick or something to bring the squid strip close to the shark's face so that your finger doesn't scare the shark. Once you get the shark eating, you can also feed the tentacles. ( You can freeze the squid after you cut it into strips.) For starters, you shouldn't try to feed the shark a lot of food. 1 or 2 pieces should do it for the first time. Once it starts eating, you can up the amount at each feeding.

But check the belly first.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:08 PM   #12
TBK
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Still nothing but the shark has changed in attitude. Seems to be more alert. I just went and bought the garlic extract from my LFS. No redness to the belly. I have krill soaking in the extract as we speak. I put a clam on the half shell in the tank with some garlic and my chocolate chip star had got to it first. I will list pictures of the food I've been using in my tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-23-2016, 11:09 PM   #13
TBK

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456283312.137813.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	285038Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456283332.939449.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	285039Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456283349.726623.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	285040

Old 02-24-2016, 01:22 AM   #14
TBK

Small update: I've dropped another clam on the half shell and 4 Krill into the aquarium. I've noticed that he comes out from under a rock when all lights are completely out. When I turn blues or regular lighting on he goes back to his little cave he created.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:54 PM   #15
TBK

Another Update: It's now 10:47pm EST as of yesterday I noticed when all lights are completely out "Even Blues" total darkness the shark would come out of his small cave he created. As I walked near the tank tonight I used the dim lighting of my cell phone and noticed he has finally began to swim around even near the surface area. Before turning the lights out this evening I soaked a clam on the half shell in garlic 20-30 minutes prior to placing it in the tank when turning the power off. When I noticed he was swimming around I dropped a few small pieces of krill and frozen squid on the tank. Hopefully this means he is making progress. After putting the clams in last night I noticed the shells where flipped over and empty. Only changes I've made to the tank is turning off my circulation pump. Which was recommended by the LFS which I purchased the shark at. With the shark being more active and the shells being flipped I can only hope that he is eating though I've not yet seen him physically eat.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:36 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Great point about feeding in the dark. They are vunerable as babies and it makes sense they would feed when they feel safest. Hoping he is eating well, it seems you have a buffet of choices!!!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to fishboy89
Eating yet?

I trust your little guy is now eatting. Baby bamboo sharks will go through a period of about two weeks (sometimes more) of not eatting - they seem to be still absorbing their yoke. I have hatched out many over the years and have always had trouble getting them to eat anything for a while, but once they start, they love squid, shrimp, clam, fish, pretty much any meaty food! Don't forget to add vitamins to your food too.

Tags
shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com