Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Shark Tank

Hello, I have a 60"x30"x30" FOWLR. Is there any type of shark that could live in this tank its whole life? Thanks

Old 05-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Since your tank is only five feet long, I wouldn't recommend having a shark. The closest you could get is a banded shark, but as an adult, your tank is too small. They get up to three feet long. They'd barely move and have to turn around again. Sorry. There are some smaller rays that might be an option for you.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmeister View Post
Hello, I have a 60"x30"x30" FOWLR. Is there any type of shark that could live in this tank its whole life? Thanks

Not only no, BUT HELL NO !!!! Unless you can place a 20,000-30,000 gallon pool in your living room, it's something you should not even consider. Next, they should never, under any circumstances be kept in a rectangular or cube style aquarium. Since their eyesight is rather poor, they rely mostly on special organs called electroreceptors that are located in their snout. Should the shark get spooked, they will take off at high speed and crash into the glass with such force, those organs could be crushed. In the event that happens, the shark will lose it's ability to hunt for food, starve and die.

Perhaps if you can and the resources are close by and available, a trip to an aquarium or college to research alongside a marine biologist would be best if you'd like to pursue this. You'd probably get much better feedback than the internet.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had a nurse shark in a 100 gallon many, many years ago.
I worked a store and somebody orphaned it at the store. I opted to take it until arrangements could be made for him. I ended having him for over 3 months.
It was only done as a last resort. He was about 20" at first and was almost 32" when we finally found him a home at a public aquarium in Tokyo.

The only thing that made it possible is that nurse sharks are relatively sedentary and daily pwc's, plus about 4x the filtration normally needed for 100 gallons.

But to keep sharks in anything other than a very large and specific tank is not respecting the creatures we enjoy so much.

but as mentioned, lots of rays are suitable for aquarium life.
Also bear in mind that more often than not when you do see sharks in tanks at bars, hotels, wherever, they are being rotated in and out of the tanks and do not live their entire lives in there.

If you do proceed, I fear some other lfs owner will be having to find a home for an orphaned shark.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bamboo or Cat Sharks don't need a swimming pool sized tank to be happy. Nor do they need a round tank. Both sharks don't move around that much and prefer to spend most of their time staying still. A 300 gallon tank would make a ok home for one with a ton of filtration.

Anything bigger would need a bigger tank that was designed for sharks.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

+1 on the cat shark, unlike most sharks they do not need a rounded tank because of the species particular swimming habits, max size they will get to be three feet however I would suggest getting an egg and watching it hatch within your aquarium, we get them at work all the time, extremely interesting to watch. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401887450.515491.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	239377
Old 06-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I saw a few in a 180 at a shop full sizE, happy and healthy! Not suggesting that! Just saying! LoL
Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
I saw a few in a 180 at a shop full sizE, happy and healthy! Not suggesting that! Just saying! LoL
And when you asked him how happy he was, what language did he answer you in?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I believe that keeping a shark in any tank, 100 gallons or 20,000 gallons is cruel. An animal that is supposed to roam hundreds of miles of open ocean every day dosent belong in a tank. I strongly dissagre with keeping any fish over 8-10in. Just me but I'm wierd like that. That's why I only keep small fish and tend to UNDERstock my tank. You could do an awesome reef setup in a 100 gallon with fish better suited to aquarium life. Thanks for hearing me vent! Lol
Old 06-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
And when you asked him how happy he was, what language did he answer you in?

That's very true, and very funny.

Tags
shark, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com