Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
No offense as I am here to help, but I sense some naÔve understanding of their requirements and general nature. All sharks bite, some more willingly than others and all willing during feeding sessions, whether conspecifics or not. Nurse sharks are more laid back except when feeding and behave much like a pitbull when biting, I.e. They don't let go. They also attain more than 10ft and 200lbs. That is a lot of shark. White tips, though smaller, still reach 4-5ft and 30-40lbs. They also tend to be mouthy. You'd still need a large swimming pool-sized display to house such animals.
+1. White tips can be a bit aggressive. I would try to stick with the smaller sharks like bamboo and horn sharks unless you are 100% sure you have the room and money for a huge saltwater tank.These are definitely not easy fish to care for, but I don't want to steer you from not doing it, because it is possible as long as you can meet their needs and do lots of research. Good luck

Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes. I am aware of how costy all of this is and that sharks can be agressive animals. Like I said, I am fascinated in sharks so I will do what I must in order to take good care of one as a pet. Of course though, this is a long term goal so this is going to be many years in the future. And like you said, bamboo sharks are going to be one of the smaller sharks that I will take care of. It's sort of like how some people own crocodiles. They take a lot of room, eat a lot, have a rough temper, and need certain requirements. I will make sure that I am well prepared before buying such a shark.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought my nurse shark from a LFS for 199$ it was about 10 inches long! Not sure what they cost now or even then. Bought it on a whim kinda. My tank was six feet long had three other fish in there with him.
Had it for about a year he grew like crazy. They said to not feed him as often to keep that from happening but seemed mean to me to let it be hungry. He was about 18 inches long when i took him to the LFS that i did almost all my dealings with and he gave me store credit for him. He had a huge tank to keep him in. It was like 10' by 10' about 18'' deep. He kept him there for a few years. He lived just fine for me. I wouldn't recommend the eggs i tried that twice with no luck.
If you go with a bamboo or similar just buy one already born and swimming and eating good.
My opinion on it is there all mostly small when there born so as long as you had a 125-150 gallon you could keep what you want. The size of the tank will only factor how long you can keep him. That being said jut because there small at birth or whatever i would recommend even thinking shark of any kind with out at minimum 125gal. But be prepared to have to get it out and have a place to take it!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

How did you get it in and out of the tank? By hand? I know certain sharks, you would need certain areas to grab it. Sort of how like certain fish you catch in the ocean have a certain way to pick them up because like sea robins, they have some time of sharp spikes located on their bodies. Did you have any regrets getting a nurse shark and what did you feed it?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well when i took him home he was in a bag. So i only handled him one time! Just to get him out and take him to the fish store. I grabbed him on the tail and behind the head. I took him in a five gallon bucket!

I fed him silversides... He always ate good.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako_ View Post
You said a Nurse shark isn't very pricy? How much did you get yours for? I found one for $1000 but that is the cheapest I found. I also saw bamboo shark eggs for $34
Did you not look at the link a posted Nurse shark 399.99.

But I would'nt even consider buying one of those.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Sharks under 24" are very simple, just firmly grip them behind the head with your fingers straddling the pectoral fins. Your palm should be providing support along the spine and behind the dorsal. Your other hand should support the tail if needed. Sharks in the 3'+ range I prefer to turn over or catch in a specialized net. I think you would better serve your wants if you set a realistic goal and learned how to keep smaller species. I will assume you have kept saltwater aquariums for at least 2yrs by now?
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc0286 View Post
Did you not look at the link a posted Nurse shark 399.99.

But I would'nt even consider buying one of those.
I did skim at some of the price ranges on different sharks from the link you gave me. And Innovator, I am still kind of new to this and just re-considered getting into this hobby because of my fascination of sharks. Of course I am going to start off with fresh water, move to salt water, and make small steps at a time.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just because your new to the hobby doesn't mean you have to start with freshwater. The only main difference is one needs salt and one don't.

When you get your tank just buy some salt and a refractometer!

But whatever you do don't buy a shark... Not till you know allot about keeping fish! lol
Old 04-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

All I need is the salt and a refractometer because I already have the aquarium salt.

Tags
sharks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com