Sharks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jigglezz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I would like to know if anyone know of and small species of sharks that are slow growing, and will do well in a 75 gallon.

short answer:No,long answer:No,im pretty sure the smallest tank for an sw shark is 300 gallons,and those sharks are considered small.

Reactions: HN1
There are none that stay that small, if you're referring to saltwater sharks. The smallest tank is like 200g to house one.

Reactions: HN1
Actually there is a shark that likes small spaces but would need a 200 gallon tank if you want it for it's whole life. It's called an Epaullette Shark and you can probably keep it in a 75 for 6 months. Another shark is a coral catshark which only grows 2 feet in length and can live in a 150 or 180. And for all you shark polices complaining about how a 24" catshark can't turn around in a 24" wide tank well it actually can because catsharks have slender bodies and are made of cartilage and no bones so think of it as bending your back. Hope this was helpful.

LMAO I SAID THINK OF IT AS BENDING YOUR BACK!! I meant to say think of it as bending your ear back.

I can spin around in a 2x2 closet too... That doesn't mean that I want to spend my life stuck in there. I think that those shark police really want to see happy and healthy animals. They know they can fit.. The issue is more that they shouldn't have to.

That's why I posted a coral cat shark because of how small he stays so which is only 2 feet. And the reason I mentioned an epaullete was because it likes small spaces it can slip through.

Still none of the sharks you mentioned are by any means lazy or inactive. Those mentioned on liveaquaria may say those tank sizes, but in reality its much more. Epaulettes get to 3'+ in length as well as bamboo sharks.

Having a shark that's half the length of the tank (180-200G) is not at all good for it

Just because it can survive doesn't mean it's the best environment for it. Shark tanks require a large shallow space to allow them enough space to really swim.

Back
Top Bottom