Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Carcharhinus melanopterus, Blacktip reef shark. C. limbatus is a much larger beast that inhabits deeper waters.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

How about a leopard shark or a smooth hound shark. They look like legit sharks and the leopard sharks are suuupper active. I'm sure they'd be a highlight of the tank. Check out sharksupply.com, they've got all kinds of shark for your tank needs.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Leopard sharks achieve 5ft and require temps. between 60-70F. If I'm not mistaken, any from Cali under 36" are also illegal.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator
Leopard sharks achieve 5ft and require temps. between 60-70F. If I'm not mistaken, any from Cali under 36" are also illegal.
You are right about the temperature but the first and last things are incorrect. Leopard sharks are only 3-4ft full grown and 4-5ft in the wild. Actually the largest leopard shark recorded is 4'9" so not even 5 feet. Also it's illegal for fisherman to catch them from the ocean if they are under 36" without the proper permit but any shark over 18" (the size they are sold in LFS) is allowed in the fish trade.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

So basically I am correct lol. You are making a point of roughly 1", I'm sure rounding off is fine and I gave the max potential Most places aren't going to sell this shark to a hobbyist so having a fisherman do it was the typical route years ago and possibly still the OP's best bet if they want something a little more exotic
Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator
So basically I am correct lol. You are making a point of roughly 1", I'm sure rounding off is fine and I gave the max potential Most places aren't going to sell this shark to a hobbyist so having a fisherman do it was the typical route years ago and possibly still the OP's best bet if they want something a little more exotic
Well not really, I was saying that was the LARGEST not average size. I.e if a human is 7ft tall it doesn't mean every human will be 7ft. Again, the size the shark will be is 3-4ft which is 1-2ft smaller than the size you mentioned.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I never said it will achieve 5ft, I stated they achieve 5ft. (different context). I agree as I stated earlier, smoothhounds are the best bet ime since they'd likely need to get rid of a leopard or blacktip before it attained 3ft.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Actually the largest leopard shark recorded is 4'9" so not even 5 feet.
Leopard shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The average length of a leopard shark is 1.2–1.5 m (3.9–4.9 ft).[10] Rarely males may grow to 1.5 m (4.9 ft) and females 1.8 m (5.9 ft), and there is a record of an exceptional female that measured 2.1 m (6.9 ft) long.[5]
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

^ YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! I love your quotes lol.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt
Leopard shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The average length of a leopard shark is 1.2–1.5 m (3.9–4.9 ft).[10] Rarely males may grow to 1.5 m (4.9 ft) and females 1.8 m (5.9 ft), and there is a record of an exceptional female that measured 2.1 m (6.9 ft) long.[5]
Well I stand corrected. Sorry to the OP for the wrong info I got from an old article.

Tags
sharks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com