Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sharks

i eventually want to set up a shark tank. i am planning to have it running in like 2 years, but since its a huge project, i need to start as soon as possible. i am not a millionaire so i will not be blowing it out of proportions. i am thinking of maybe making it 1200 gallon, so 15 feet wide by 4 feet deep and 33 inches tall.
i would like to keep a blacktip reef shark but I'm am not sure if it can live its entire life there because i here they get around 5 feet. i will be getting it at 2 feet (approximately).
i was wondering if there are any other sharks that are a bit smaller that can be kept in this aquarium instead because the blacktop reef shark might get too big.
i am not interested in those nurse sharks or bamboo sharks or cat sharks. i want a shark that looks the big sharks in the ocean (the type that looks like a typical shark swims like a typical shark) i don't like the ones that sleep around on the bottom.
i was also looking into getting a stingray, a large clown trigger, a large pair of maroon clowns and maybe a lion fish.

i am basically getting my inspiration from BCT182 on youtube
here is the video FEEDING TIME! BLACK TIP REEF SHARK - YouTube
mine will have a bit different dimension but if you recommend what he has (said in his video description) instead, i might just do that

Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Unfortunately most requiem/pelagic sharks such as blacktips, whitetips, bonnetheads, etc. will not survive long in only 1200g unless the tank was a complete cylinder/circular holding due to growth, swimming patterns, and stress. The only viable option IF you plan this route is to arrange for eventual transfer to a facility once their growth or behaviors have become "unwelcomed." I didn't visit his vid site, but the shark in the video looked to be a pup, 2ft or less, and already displaying stress responses such as smacking the walls with its nose and making complete "L" turns in order to stay within the water column (luckily, blacktips have better maneuverability than other large sharks). If this was your goal, I'd seriously opt for a 5000g tank with greater length/width for a blacktip; otherwise, have you thought about smoothhound, Mustelus spp., sharks which stay under 3ft., slender, and remain within the water column during the day? You could then keep several catsharks and the like with a pair of smoothhounds (perhaps not indefinite, but much longer than a blacktip). Blacktips make their meals on fish so you can bet that eventually any fish is fair game regardless of how satiated you keep it, but I would stay away from triggers (do attack eyes of sharks) and lionfish for obvious reasons. Blacktips may or may not eat stingrays. As for the tank itself, IF you go ahead with a Blacktip I'd opt for a fiberglass build since requiem sharks are all muscle and will hit the walls and they will reverberate.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
Unfortunately most requiem/pelagic sharks such as blacktips, whitetips, bonnetheads, etc. will not survive long in only 1200g unless the tank was a complete cylinder/circular holding due to growth, swimming patterns, and stress. The only viable option IF you plan this route is to arrange for eventual transfer to a facility once their growth or behaviors have become "unwelcomed." I didn't visit his vid site, but the shark in the video looked to be a pup, 2ft or less, and already displaying stress responses such as smacking the walls with its nose and making complete "L" turns in order to stay within the water column (luckily, blacktips have better maneuverability than other large sharks). If this was your goal, I'd seriously opt for a 5000g tank with greater length/width for a blacktip; otherwise, have you thought about smoothhound, Mustelus spp., sharks which stay under 3ft., slender, and remain within the water column during the day? You could then keep several catsharks and the like with a pair of smoothhounds (perhaps not indefinite, but much longer than a blacktip). Blacktips make their meals on fish so you can bet that eventually any fish is fair game regardless of how satiated you keep it, but I would stay away from triggers (do attack eyes of sharks) and lionfish for obvious reasons. Blacktips may or may not eat stingrays. As for the tank itself, IF you go ahead with a Blacktip I'd opt for a fiberglass build since requiem sharks are all muscle and will hit the walls and they will reverberate.
i hope you don't mind me asking if you are mixing up BlackTip shark (Carcharhinus limbatus) with Blacktip reef shark (Carcharhinus melanopterus)
Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

also, the atlantic sharp nose shark stays around 3.5 feet. the Australian sharp nose stay 2 feet but i don't know if they are widely available
Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

No, not mixing species up by any means (I care for a 1400g shark display). The sharks you mention are only available by custom order or fishermen, usually.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

who/where would i be able to order them from. i'm leaning towards the Australian sharp nose because it is smaller. would you happen to know anything about them because there isn't much on them online. would i be able to other fish with it or only other sharks.
can you tell me what you have stocked in your 1400g shark tank. thank you
Old 04-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

We deal with private collectors or wholesalers so I would Google and see what you come up with. Don't be surprised to see costs well over $1000. for any requiem shark (doesn't include shipping/airfare/freight). Personally I'd stear clear of requiem sharks and especially those with little husbandry info. on them. In the 1400 I care for we have 1 spotted bamboo, 1 brown-banded bamboo, 2 Eppaulettes, and 2 smoothhounds. We could easily house 2 more smoothhounds and a pair of rays along with fast moving fish such as tangs. Due to our acquisition of a blacktip we have removed all tangs and will remove both smoothhounds as they'd likely be consumed. Remember, institutions have on-site access to large holding vats and various meds. of which is another downside for hobbyists.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm sorry but i don't understand what you mean about the blacktip and everything after that, english is my second language, can you use easier english
Old 04-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Not a problem In other words, because we recently purchased a blacktip, we had to get rid of our fish within the tank and 2 smoothhounds as they will eventually be eaten by the blacktip. That is something to think about since they are the vultures of the sea and any opportunity is their opportunity. You'll also need a sturdy top to keep them from jumping (they will jump).
Old 04-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

are you talking about the black tip or the black tip reef shark. i find it strange that they're names are so similar, lol

Tags
sharks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com