Should I add a Protien skimmer or another filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed that my water is a little cloudy in my 75 FOWLR, but that could be from my rock crab and snowflake eel. I have to aquaclear 500's on with foam and charcoal and the other with foam and bio cubes. Would a protein skimmer be good to get or should I get anther filter, maybe a magnum 350. I just a little confused on the protein skimmer. Is it good? Can it hurt? Any help would be great.

Thanks

I would add the skimmer. A filter will not remove the compunds that a skimmer will. Your tank will look better after skimming for a while as well. The AquaC Remora Pro would be my recomendation. It is a hang on back style skimmer.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know of a site to buy from, hopefully the cheapest. also, are they loud?

I agree with Darin, a skimmer would be a greater benefit at this time.
If you find the remora too pricey, the next in line would be a CPR bak-pak, usually around $100 online (www.drsfostersmith.com)

I've heard negative comments about the red sea Berlin hang on skimmers...but I've also seen one working and it was doing a great job.
Definitely avoid seaclone and prism.

Skimmer. most definatly.

I have a CPR bak-pak 2R and it runs quietly and effeciently.

also, do you have Powerheads in your tank to help move the water???
If not, you probibly will have problems with dead spots in your tank. which could also lead to unhealthy fish, and bad water parameters.

Now. when you say power heads. I have 2 aquaclear 500's. Is that enough? If not what should I do?

powerheads are water pumps which you position in your tank to circulate the water and create a turbulance inside the tank. Maxi-Jet powerheads are available in all sizes.

Your aquaclear 500's are moving enough water, but you may not be getting a very good amount of water movement in all parts of the tank. "dead zones" may exsist and are not good.

a couple of small Powerheads placed on oppisite sides of the tank and turned twoard each other will work wonders in keeping the water moving. However, They will not clear the water up. (which is your main problem at this point.)

Check out my gallery to see how I have setup my powerhead. You can see that it is on the oppisite side of the return from my Magnum 350 canister filter. The Powerhead blows down over the rocks and meets the stream of the Magnum in about the middle of the tank. This turbulant area causes the water flow to go every which way, Eventually it all makes it way around, behind, and through a cave to the intake of the Powerhead, Canister Filter, and Skimmer, on the right side of the tank.

The big black box, by the way, is a pre-skimmer, and is highly recommended to improve the eficency of your skimmer. (plus it hides that ugly pump and all of those wires and tubes running from it.)

Back
Top Bottom