should i even bother?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FloridaNewbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was getting ready to make a diy 20gal long sump for my 55gal, but there is no way the tank will fit in the cabinet. I don;t want to leave out because it would be an eye sore and a pain in the ***. After measuring everything i can easily fit a 10gal, maybe even 15gal tall.

But that means that it would be a small sump, only adding maybe extra 8 gallons to the overall volume. If i put my skimmer/heater/Uv in the sump, it will not fit anything else.

My questions is, besides hidding all the equipment, is there any benefits of such a small sump?

Thanks
Leo

Its probably the 12" width on the 20Long tank that is the problem. I had the same problem with my 46bow but its only 36" long

Fijiwigi nailed it, the lenght is fine, i have about 34' to work with, but the width is only 11'. Plus i don't want to squeeze anything in and stress the stand.

My only suggestion is that you could have one custom made to fit your stand that will give you more water volume to work with. It would be pricey but I would do that before I bothered to just add 8 gallons to the system imo.

Trust me...any size sump will benefit your tank. Aside from hiding equipment, it will also provide you a great place for extra biological filtration such as LR rubble. The increased water volume will also help to maintain water parameters. Think about, adding a 20 gal is almost increasing water volume by 40-45% (give or take).

But only a 10g will fit without going custom. A 10g will add 4, maybe 5 gallons of water. That's still a 10% increase, worth it.

I agree that water volume is a great thing. There are so many tank configurations out there that you could find something out there.

Back
Top Bottom