Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should I get a mandarin?

I have a 150g tank with 110# of LR with yellow tang, naso tang, honeycomb grouper, green bird wrasse, snowflake eel, and niger trigger and I was WONDERING if I could gat a green or spotted mandarin. I have heard of stories where a fish is about to attack them then they put their spine up and the fish stops only reason Im wondering. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i wouldnt trust a mandarin with those fish if it were me. The mandarin I have is very tiny and fragile looking lol. Doesnt look like it could fend for itself.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My mandarin lives with a mean tomato clown and they usually stay away from each other. Mandarins "crawl" in crevices and mine hangs around little wholes looking for food where the big mean fish doesn't go to.
I'm more worried about the food issue, hope u know what u r getting yourself into
I consider myself lucky that I found one for $30 that is still happy and fat with the life brine shrimp I give him. The place I got him from said that all their other mandarines died and mine is the only one that made it
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Where do you live that you found one for 30. I live in Sw fl and can drive 20 minutes in any direction a hit 6 fish stores and I still cant find them for less than 50. I don't want to spend that much on one with the high rate of death they have
Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm in florida and they are $20 for a wild caught one and $45 for the ORA tank raised. I have the ORA one and I gotta say the hype about them eating prepared foods isnt worth it. Mine is only eating the prepared foods somewhat so I'm not too happy about that.
I may have to move her to my 125g where the pods are plentiful. Tough little fish to keep alive let me tell you! I thought my scooter was difficult. lol
Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrD
Where do you live that you found one for 30. I live in Sw fl and can drive 20 minutes in any direction a hit 6 fish stores and I still cant find them for less than 50. I don't want to spend that much on one with the high rate of death they have
I'm in Orlando FL
my store only had em once and didn't see them getting mandarins again
Old 08-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm in deltona, halfway between orlando and daytona.

I go to daytona for my fish now, he alwasy has mandarins and alot of other really neat fish.

Where do you go? I sometimes go to oceans direct in longwood or fishy business in longwood as well. I've been to aqua studios I think it was in orlando and the prices were obscene!! he did have alot of neat stuff though, just priced like crazy. lol
Old 08-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, it's Aquaria studio at Waterford lakes in Orlando. It's jut around the corner from our house and they usually give me good deals and % off. That's where I got my $30 mandarin
Maybe one day I'll make it to longwood if they are good
Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, that store is awesome but soo expensive. They wanted $50 for a midas blenny when it should be like $30. I do like their corals though. And their tanks are stellar, it inspired me to do another build in fact after seeing them.

Oceans direct in longwood is a great store too, wonderful selection and the corals are really priced well. Fishy business has alot of weird fish but I've only ever bought corals from him.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Guess once I got my tank up and running I will check em out... If I go there now I may end up buying stuff before I have space for it

Tags
fish, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com