Should I get Live Rock with the type of fish I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I get live rock with the fish I have or is it a waste of money?

• Waste of money

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fishboy-from-NY

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone, I know that everyone say's that Live rocks are the best filtration source for a fish tank. My concern is that I may have fish who will eat all the life out of the rocks. I currently only have in my tank 80 Pounds of Tufa rock in the tank for over 2 years now and they have ton's of Corraline Algae all over. Please vote and let me know additional comments regarding this question.

Here is a list of the fish that I have:

1-Humu Trigger
1-Niger Trigger
1-Yellow Tang
1-Purple Tang
1-Hippo Tang
1-Green Bird Wrasse
1-Snowflake Eel
1-Ghost Eel
1-Watchman Goby
1-Tierra Bat Fish
3-3 Stripe damsels

Triggers will take bites into the rocks, well at least mine did. I went barebottom but after 3-4 weeks, the was sand!!! Well rock rubbles and such. It was a Humu-Humu Trigger, Juvenile at that. Its hit or miss.

They will eat some stuff off the rock but the benificial bacteria will still be there which helps filter the water.

I agree. Lr is so much better looking in your tank. I don't think they can eat enough off of it to hurt. You got a 130 gal tank? You have 80 lbs of lr so you need at least another 80 lbs maybe even 100, and if their not eating the coraline algae off the existing rock I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I say waste of money.. you already have all the filtration benefits in your rock, aswell as good coralline coverage by now.. so why bother?

That's what I thought about doing just getting more base rock and try to spread the coraline algae and also buy2 more Detrivore kits in order for them to seed the new rock.

A little lr will seed the base alot faster. Of it were me I would get the lr. The more natural the environment the better IMO. It can only help in the long run, and if you decide to go reef, you will be all set. Get Some! :wink:

PS. I dont work for a LR seller either. :wink:

Live rock = Base rock + Time

True, but.....

LR= No Time + Extra Benefits Biologically + Cool Critters

LR= No Time + Extra Benefits Biologically + Cool Critters/Money = Worth It! :wink:

That's precisely my point.. why pay all that money for basically just some extra critters when they will most likely be eaten by the fish.

I think the extra base rock is the wiser choice. It will still colonize with the same bacteria and coralline as any live rock. If you have the patience this is the way to go.

If this was to be a reef then you wouldn't have this selection of fish to begin with.

LR= No Time + Extra Benefits Biologically + Cool Critters
LR= No Time + Extra Benefits Biologically + Cool Critters/Money = Worth It!

Yes, but U am scared that I Have two eels, a green bird Wrasse and two trigger that will eat all those critters. I also heard that my tank has been up an running for 2 years and if you add detrivore kits to your system, it the same as having live rock since it will make the base rock life. I just want to make sure that money is not wasted you know if I already have what I need. Also, if I was to go reef, it will not be in this tank and not until I hit the lottery. LOL.

out of everyon here, all I can get is 14 votes, come on. Well it looks like Live rock is the #1 Choice, let me know why I souldn't. I know that you all had to make such a hard decision in your life, please help man. :? :? :?

I think you've probably got enough feedback here to make a decision.. more votes won't really be helpful or informative. Plus at the end of the day you're the one who knows your own situation best and has to spend the money. It's the same when someone asks what skimmer to buy if they're on a tight budget and most people immediately suggest the remora anyway. It's hard to put yourself in someone elses shoes to make the right call. If money is no object then go for the LR.

Hey, I understand Atari, sorry if I was being to pushy, I guess I should just buy only 10 pounds and see how my fish react once it's in the tank in order to decide if more is possible.

I didn't mean it to sound like you were being pushy at all.. my bad.. I was just saying it's hard for someone else to make the call.

Anyway, I think you've come up with a good intermediate solution there :wink:

Back
Top Bottom