Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-17-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Should I go Reef?

I maintain a tank at my office. It is 210 gal. FOWLER. The tank has been in operation for 6 months and is very stable all the fish are healthy and growing. Current occupants are 5 assorted damsel fish, a yellowhead sleeper goby, a tomato clown, a large Naso Tang, a medium Clown Trigger, a blood shrimp, chocolate chip starfish, and a couple of nassarius snails. I have about 30 lbs of live rock one of which has about 9 small anemones on it. The tank is a Oceanic megaflow with twin built-in overflow chambers feeding a wet/dry system with about 1/2 the normal amount of bio balls and a large protein skimmer. The lighting is 2 corallife 36" high output units each with 2 daylight and 2 actinic tubes. I run the actinic about 10 hours and the daylight about 6 hours a day. What corals would I be able to add to the system. I know I am limited somewhat by the clown trigger. Any recommendations?

Noizman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
You could add some low light corals such as:

I am surprised the Clown Trigger has not bothered the snails... inverts like hermits and snails are a delicacy. Corals you may want to use caution...

All the other inhabitants are reef safe so you shouldn't have any problems...

edited: Didn't see it at first. The Chocolate Chip star will graze on corals so you may want to be cautious about it too...
Old 03-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
I do suspect you will run into trouble with the clown trigger down the road. I am very surprised it has not yet bothed your inverts. Just a matter of time. I would say your first course of action is to bump up the LR by 300lbs. Do you know if your lighting is NO or CF lighting? This will make a big difference in deciding if you can keep corals.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
For the record, not all Triggers go after snails, hermits and shrimps.. There are quite a few that as long as everything was entered into the tank before the Trigger, it will be fine.. I'm assuming the Trigger has been with the current inhabitants for at least a few months now.. Triggers are quite bold, had the Trigger wanted to do anything, it would have by now.. Thats not to say that it can't suddenly change its mind, in the event the feedings turn out to not be enough. But as long as the feedings are good and you monitor, it is possible for a peaceful co-existence. However, IME the Clown Trigger is not regarded as one of the reef safe Triggers, so it would need a little extra monitoring.. But as I stated before, there are Triggers that can be kept in reef environments, and as always, there are exceptions to all rules.. HTH
Old 03-18-2006, 11:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm in Gainesville too. Just curious, what office has a 210 gal SW tank? I'd like to see it! I have a 90 gal reef. I love corals but it really precludes you from a lot of fish choices, particularly most of the larger, more colorful fish.
Gatorfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
My office is Brown, Haaker & Owen Land Surveyors. We are off NW 39 Ave just west of 43 St. I'm very proud of our tank. It's beautiful. The lighting I mentioned is the Corallife Aqualife retrofit kit. I have 2 36" strips. Each strip has a 96w Actinic and a 96w daylight so I have a total of 384w of light. This sounds like a lot of light but in a 210 gal setup its only 1.8 watts per gallon. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I have a 2 1/2" bed of arragonite sand covering the bottom. The Sleeper Goby is constantly sifting through it and there are a couple of large snales (golf ball size) that live under the sand. All of the fish eat well and are healthy. I feed them 2 cubes of prime reef, 2 cubes of formula 2 and some tenera every day. The clown trigger is a pig. He is actually fat from eating so much. The Naso tang we have is the best looking Naso I've ever seen. He has long streamers on his tail that are gorgeous.

Noizman is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com