Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Should i start the filter?

Added it all last night, 20lb live sand, water and salt reading 1.022

It was cloudy but after the night it is much much more clear. Can I turn my filter on now? I don't wanna get random floating sand in it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-249899544.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	33640  

luke.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

well you need some way to get the 'random floating sand' out of the tank.

When I first setup my tank, I had an old HOB I wasn't using any more. I filled it with filter floss and let it do it's thing for about 24 hours before I did anything else. Then, once the water was cleared up, I just removed the HOB and starting the rest of the equipment running.

In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I also just added more sand to my tank last night and it clouded it up completely. The light couldn't even reach halfway down the tank!

I asked a lfs that I've never gone to today about running the filter, and she said that it's a must. If I don't run my filter, the bacteria in my live rock and sand will die. Also I need to wash the cartridges so they don't clog
Henry405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Don't worry the bacteria will not die. The only way it could die is if there is long periods of time with no ammonia. Having a hob filter does help out. While running one your tank will take up to 48 hrs b4 the water is crystal clear. Keep in mind that you may have a powder or white residue on all of your glass. A simple wipe down with sponge will take care of it. Although sometimes it really gets stuck on so you have to scrape it with a razor blade to get it off.
Tomchong22 is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com