Should i start the filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luke.s

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Added it all last night, 20lb live sand, water and salt reading 1.022

It was cloudy but after the night it is much much more clear. Can I turn my filter on now? I don't wanna get random floating sand in it!

Attachments

• image-249899544.jpg
    image-249899544.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 76
well you need some way to get the 'random floating sand' out of the tank.

When I first setup my tank, I had an old HOB I wasn't using any more. I filled it with filter floss and let it do it's thing for about 24 hours before I did anything else. Then, once the water was cleared up, I just removed the HOB and starting the rest of the equipment running.

I also just added more sand to my tank last night and it clouded it up completely. The light couldn't even reach halfway down the tank!

I asked a lfs that I've never gone to today about running the filter, and she said that it's a must. If I don't run my filter, the bacteria in my live rock and sand will die. Also I need to wash the cartridges so they don't clog

Don't worry the bacteria will not die. The only way it could die is if there is long periods of time with no ammonia. Having a hob filter does help out. While running one your tank will take up to 48 hrs b4 the water is crystal clear. Keep in mind that you may have a powder or white residue on all of your glass. A simple wipe down with sponge will take care of it. Although sometimes it really gets stuck on so you have to scrape it with a razor blade to get it off.

Back
Top Bottom