Shrimp Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bootz

Aquarium Advice Freak
My second attempt at trying to acclimate shrimp to my aquarium had the exact same result as my first attempt. After countless tests of the water and the discovery of 0 metals in my water as well as proper ph and salt levels i decided to get another shrimp this time the more expensive hardier, cleaner shrimp. i acclimate d him for 2 hours to be safe slowly removing the lfs water and adding my tank water and the same result happened, death after 2 minutes of being in my tank. Whats the deal with shrimp ? my tank has all the proper level i acclimate them in an almost textbook fashion and they still die. Waste of money perhaps? please help me i find this very depressing that i cannot keep shrimp.

bootz said:
My second attempt at trying to acclimate shrimp to my aquarium had the exact same result as my first attempt. After countless tests of the water and the discovery of 0 metals in my water as well as proper ph and salt levels i decided to get another shrimp this time the more expensive hardier, cleaner shrimp. i acclimate d him for 2 hours to be safe slowly removing the lfs water and adding my tank water and the same result happened, death after 2 minutes of being in my tank. Whats the deal with shrimp ? my tank has all the proper level i acclimate them in an almost textbook fashion and they still die. Waste of money perhaps? please help me i find this very depressing that i cannot keep shrimp.

Hmm be helpful if u can give us ur water parameters such as ammonia nitrite and nitrate. And a pic of ur tank?

by proper levels i mean
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate - 0
Ammonia- 0
Copper- 0
PH- 8.1
Salt - 1.023
Tank 30 gallon

bootz said:
by proper levels i mean
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate - 0
Ammonia- 0
Copper- 0
PH- 8.1
Salt - 1.023
Tank 30 gallon

I have a cleaner shrimp and my nitrates are pretty consistently 20.

Are you sure it's dead? I recently added a cleaner shrimp to my tank along with an existing fire shrimp. The next morning I saw a carcass, antenna and all. Saw him later in between rocks, he had molted as soon as he hit the tank!

no luck on the molt he was legit dead within minutes after a long acclimation period ima take him back this time and hopefully get refunded =) thanks for all your help. i think im done with shrimp lol

After I'm done acclimating I put my shrimp in a baggy floating in the tank before I put them in the tank. That way they aren't so surprised when they go in. It also tells you if something is in the mood for some live shrimp.

You sure nothing in the tank killed it?

The only thing that jumps out to me is the 1.023 salinity. Inverts usually do best in salinity of 1.025-1.0267 (natural sea water salinity). Inverts do not have the ability to regulate the salt content in their bodies, so if the osmotic pressure is too different, it can be fatal.

+1 on the SG.
As far as the acclimation, when you say you add water from your tank to the bag, and remove some of the LFS water, that can be very stressful. Why not set up a slow drip,that way the animal is very slowly acclimated over hours with minimal stress. Then you could introduce him to the DT.

Update: so i went back to the store to have them test my water and had very similar results except my salinity was 1.024 at the store. The good news after i talked with the store owner we really could not figure out a problem so i decided instead of slowly introducing him just acclimated for like 15 mins and drop it in there. a few days later he still alive and thriving :D i guess keeping them in that bag was just too much stress unfortunately i found that out the hard way.

I have the same issue, 1 that is in the tank and the last 2 that I have tried to add always died almost after 3 hours, I have the same water parameters it just my salinity that is 1.020, but my 1st shrimp is very alive!! I will continue reading....

I have the same issue, 1 that is in the tank and the last 2 that I have tried to add always died almost after 3 hours, I have the same water parameters it just my salinity that is 1.020, but my 1st shrimp is very alive!! I will continue reading....

How did you acclimate them? If they're dying after just 3 hours, its most likely the acclimate process.

As always drip acclimation, the first 15 min very slow and then I will go another drip more faster until I have passed 3 times the water at the bag, I verify also the salinity at the bag just to confirm that is the same as my tank, this it takes almost 1 hr 45 minutes, then it is when the shrimp is at the tank, he is alright the first 4 hrs and then he start not to move......

This might be a silly question, but was the temp of the bag the same as your DT when you added it? Someone else had a similar problem using the drip acclimation method because his room was kinda cold and lowered the temp of the water inside the bag.

Was the bag open or closed during acclimation. Most write-ups on the drip method says to put the fish and water into a container. If the bag was closed, there could had been low oxygen gas exchange thus changing the pH of the bag.

The temp was the same (I have an extra digital thermometer) the bag was open in a container, the amazing thing was that from the first 2: 1 dead - 1 is alive, even I will post a photo of the survival. Then when I retry to have another one, this just die as I have already mention.

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
mlanda said:
The temp was the same (I have an extra digital thermometer) the bag was open in a container, the amazing thing was that from the first 2: 1 dead - 1 is alive, even I will post a photo of the survival. Then when I retry to have another one, this just die as I have already mention.

I think u were acclimating for to long. Acclimation should only last an hour.

Back
Top Bottom