Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Shrimp Death

My second attempt at trying to acclimate shrimp to my aquarium had the exact same result as my first attempt. After countless tests of the water and the discovery of 0 metals in my water as well as proper ph and salt levels i decided to get another shrimp this time the more expensive hardier, cleaner shrimp. i acclimate d him for 2 hours to be safe slowly removing the lfs water and adding my tank water and the same result happened, death after 2 minutes of being in my tank. Whats the deal with shrimp ? my tank has all the proper level i acclimate them in an almost textbook fashion and they still die. Waste of money perhaps? please help me i find this very depressing that i cannot keep shrimp.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootz
My second attempt at trying to acclimate shrimp to my aquarium had the exact same result as my first attempt. After countless tests of the water and the discovery of 0 metals in my water as well as proper ph and salt levels i decided to get another shrimp this time the more expensive hardier, cleaner shrimp. i acclimate d him for 2 hours to be safe slowly removing the lfs water and adding my tank water and the same result happened, death after 2 minutes of being in my tank. Whats the deal with shrimp ? my tank has all the proper level i acclimate them in an almost textbook fashion and they still die. Waste of money perhaps? please help me i find this very depressing that i cannot keep shrimp.
Hmm be helpful if u can give us ur water parameters such as ammonia nitrite and nitrate. And a pic of ur tank?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

by proper levels i mean
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate - 0
Ammonia- 0
Copper- 0
PH- 8.1
Salt - 1.023
Tank 30 gallon
Old 05-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
by proper levels i mean
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate - 0
Ammonia- 0
Copper- 0
PH- 8.1
Salt - 1.023
Tank 30 gallon
Y is ur nitrate 0. Hmm do u have any other inhabitants?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
by proper levels i mean
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate - 0
Ammonia- 0
Copper- 0
PH- 8.1
Salt - 1.023
Tank 30 gallon
I have a cleaner shrimp and my nitrates are pretty consistently 20.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Are you sure it's dead? I recently added a cleaner shrimp to my tank along with an existing fire shrimp. The next morning I saw a carcass, antenna and all. Saw him later in between rocks, he had molted as soon as he hit the tank!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, that happened to me too. We were all upset about the "death" of our shrimp.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

no luck on the molt he was legit dead within minutes after a long acclimation period ima take him back this time and hopefully get refunded =) thanks for all your help. i think im done with shrimp lol
Old 05-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After I'm done acclimating I put my shrimp in a baggy floating in the tank before I put them in the tank. That way they aren't so surprised when they go in. It also tells you if something is in the mood for some live shrimp.

You sure nothing in the tank killed it?

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The only thing that jumps out to me is the 1.023 salinity. Inverts usually do best in salinity of 1.025-1.0267 (natural sea water salinity). Inverts do not have the ability to regulate the salt content in their bodies, so if the osmotic pressure is too different, it can be fatal.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, eat, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com