Shrimp Molt - now missing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba dude

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the past 24 hours my 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 fire shrimp have molted and now are missing. Could my hermit crabs and / or strawberry crab have taken them for an easy meal with a soft shell after their molt. I can't seem to find them anywhere. The shells from the cleaner shrimp both had eggs still on them when I found them. The fire shrimp was in many smaller pieces when it was found , this is what I read as normal for them.

I question the strawberry crab the most. He was in the tank when I received it and I do not know that much about them. He is very illusive and since I have had the tank I have only seen him once.

Not to mention that my Blenny also jumped out of the tank and was found dead on the floor during all this , I left the top off only for a couple minutes and that was all it took. I feel horrable that my neglance lead to his death. So sad to loose such a beautiful fish with an amazing personalty.

I really thought it was a water issue so I brought a sample to my LFS and had it tested and the reasults were near perfect so don't think that was the cause of the disappearing shrimp.

PH 8.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 5
Salinity 1.023 refractometer 1.024 swing gauge
Phosfate 0
Also a calcium and hardness test that were good but I don't have my log sheet here and don't remember the numbers. One was between 380 and 400 but don't remember what test that was.

Bad weekend for sure. Thanks for any help here.

Are you sure they are not in the tank I know that when the shrimp molt because they are then more vunerable they will hide for a few days until the shell has harden again

Not there and it's been a few days with no sign of any of them. Some of the pieces I pulled out you could see that everything was cleaned out inside and the body was left with the legs still attached.

Best I can figure is the strawberry crab I had in there got to them. I did some reading and they say he might not be reef compatable but others have said it is OK , personally I pick not. I was able to catch him and have him isolated and he will be taking a ride to my LFS tonight to get a new home. He is pretty mean looking and has some claws that look like they could certainly do some damage.

Back
Top Bottom