Sick or a Mad Crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squintyekalb

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I recently pulled my clown out from QT for Brooklynella and left my tank up still just invade it came up. Just noticed after waking up today that her fin in the back is missing a piece. Quite literally. I've heard of a disease that does this, but I also have an aggressive crab who seems to only act out towards my clown. Might it be my crab or a new inset disease? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414069926.550170.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414069974.283589.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's an emerald crab. Gets almost never around but when he is he'll take a reach for the clown which is much larger than he is.

Crabs, no matter what kind, are opportunistic. That being said, there is no way a crab is going to be able to catch a healthy fish. Either the fish still isn't 100% or that chunk out of his tail is from bullying from another fish...which is common to see when there is bullying going on, tattered fins.

I do think it's bullying. The only other fish is a royal gamma (about the same size) and he's a curmudgeon.
Could this be fun rot?

Though normally peaceful, if the tank is too small for each to have their own territory bullying can still occur.

Both fish seem to have "their side of the tank" and they don't interact much. I really don't think it's bullying now. But my brother thinks its biting, and that's just his opinion (with no reef experience, just saying)

Would a fish really bite another? Like as much that's missing from my clown?

Yes indeed. Fish can absolutely tear each other apart if they want to.

Should I quarantine the other fish or my now injured clown? Till he heals

I don't see the need to qt the fish. He isn't sick, at least yet. If the bullying I'd believe is going on continues one of them may need rehoused.

So sadly the clown passed. Only I ha just put him in qt after seeing him get hit by my gamma. The same bite area then looked infected, kinda like a scab/wart look to it.

Back
Top Bottom