Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Simple DSB questions

I asked the following questions a few days ago but never got a response...reposting as I was hoping to add the extra substrate this weekend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I currently have about 55# of Caribsea Aragonite- Seaflor special grade reef sand in my 55 Gal FOwLR setup. I am planning on adding another 40# so that I have a proper DSB and have a few questions.

1) Can I just add to the top of the current substrate?

2) Can the fish stay in the tank when I add the new substrate?

3) should I rinse the new substrate before adding?

4) Is this grade sand OK for sand sifters?

Any helpful suggestions welcome.

Thanx,

Patrick

Old 09-27-2003, 10:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
patric i would add it slowly so you do not risk killing all the critters that are already in your sand bed just add it a little at a time try taking your new sand and getting it wet and sliding it down a piece of pvc or freeze the damp sand in a pie tin slide it out and place it in the tank i would not add the whole 40 lbs in the course of a weekend, i can not help as far as rinsing or if the grade is good not familiar with what Aragonite- Seaflor special grade reef sand is.hope i helped some just remember good things in tanks happen slowly bad things happen fast....lor

http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 11:45 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I saw your question and did not answer because I am not fimular with the grain size of the seaflor special grade sand.

We have the following article on how to change out your substrate

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 06:35 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
1) Can I just add to the top of the current substrate?
Not more than 1/2" every other day

Quote:
2) Can the fish stay in the tank when I add the new substrate?
Yes, but do what you can to minimize the "dust" ie; wet the sand, add with a large diameter PVC pipe etc...

Quote:
3) should I rinse the new substrate before adding?
Technically no, the silt and dust will add a variety of grain sizes with will encourage diversity of your sand fauna

Quote:
4) Is this grade sand OK for sand sifters?
Yes, but it is considered too large a grain size for a DSB. You should look into a sand with a grain size closer to that of a sugar grain, like SouthDown Tropical PlaySand, or Aragamax, etc...

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Reefrunner,

Thanx for the replies. I must say that I am surprised to here that the grain size is to large for a proper DSB as that is the reason I bought this in the first place. The description on the Carib-sea web site states the following "1.25 - 1.95 mm diameter grain size. A revolution in reef-keeping! This is the one you’ve been reading about in all the hobbyist publications. This grade of aragonite is specifically engineered for plenum-type nitrate reducing beds or anywhere a deeper bed is called for. The pore water space created by precision grading also allows maximum pH support and dissolution of calcium carbonate. "

Am I misinterpreting something or is the information the product incorrect?

Thanx,

Patrick
Old 09-28-2003, 11:37 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Am I misinterpreting something or is the information the product incorrect?
Exerpt from Deep Sand Beds by Ron Shimek, I recommend reading the entire article prior to setting up your DSB.

Quote:
Construction:

Making a sand bed is almost too easy. The most important part of the sand bed is, not surprisingly, the sand. While earlier I referred to "mud" and now I refer to "sand," I am not discussing two different materials. There is no scientific definition of "mud," however, those of us befuddled folks who spend part of our life working with marine sediments have a naming scale for the parts of the continuum of particles ranging from the very big ("boulders" = particles over 25.6 cm, about 10 inches, diameter) to the very small ("clay" = particles less than 0.004 mm, about 0.00016 inches). Nowhere in this scale is there a mention of that most desirable of substances, "mud." Generally, what a sediment-studying scientist would refer to as fine or very fine sands with smidgen of silt, most normal folks call mud. These are sediments whose particles generally range from about 1/16th mm (0.063mm) to about 1/8th mm (0.125 mm).

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com