Singapore Angel nipping at my Chocolate Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan450z

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got this starfish and already my Singapore angel seems to think its food for him. He nips at my live rock and this new guy included. Hope it doesn't become a problem in the future for either one.

Tried to upload pics but not working on the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No input, but the app has been giving trouble uploading pics today. You're not alone there.

Caleb

In my experience with chocolate chip starfish they are pretty tough. I had one in an agressive fish only tank, and my niger trigger would carry it around by one of its arms moving it to where he wanted. I never saw any damage to the starfish although he wasn't in there for more than 6 months before i traded him in.

Angels will cause problems like that. If he is nipping at the CC star dont dare put in corals or they will get crunched.

It only happened when i first got it. It's doing very well now. It must not like chocolate. :)

No, the angel will possibly do it again. what it is doing is eating the tiny "eyes", the small appendages at the very tips of their arms, they are not suckers but eyes and apparently they are tasty.
When they grow back the angel may bother it again. It can be fatal over the long run for the star being always harassed, but in my experience the fish usually end up leaving them alone.

it has always been high summer temps that have done mine in, they always seem to start melting when temps hit ~82

Back
Top Bottom