Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2014, 11:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonrusso View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but here you go. Attachment 243357

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Beautiful!! Sorry op back on track now! I agree with the lion and eel idea. A snowflake could work as well. Those dwarf golds get pretty $$$$ haha

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Snowflake and a dwarf/radiata/antenatta would be awesome! Just make sure you have a decent amount of rocks and caves for the eel to hide in! Also descent filtration because they're both pretty messy eaters .

Old 07-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

In actuality one or two volitans with an eel or two would be fine. Lionfish do not require the swimming room some other fish require and I doubt they would reach full size in there anyway. You may have to rehouse them after a couple of years.
It is more a challenge of maintaining the water quality when they get bigger...
BUT lions and eels being major carnivores works in your favor as you can easily get away with only feeding 1-2 times a week.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could even go the puffer route!

Old 07-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

NO WAY you could keep 1 volitan let alone 2 in a 55. No way. They can get like 15" long which is longer than the tank is wide. Do NOT do that.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:59 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13 View Post
NO WAY you could keep 1 volitan let alone 2 in a 55. No way. They can get like 15" long which is longer than the tank is wide. Do NOT do that.

Let me ask you this, have you ever seen one that size in a home aquarium, especially a 55?
Have you ever kept volitan lions?
I kept a couple in my 100 gallon and they maxed out at about 7-8".
Plus it depends on if the tank is a "show" style or reg. OP said standard, so that could be 19" if not a show tank.

I clearly said they most likely will not grow that big in captivity (lot of folks forget those max sizes are usually based on in the wild, not an aquarium.)
I clearly said he may have to rehouse them in a couple of years as well, didn't I?

Please tell me all the evils that would befall a 2-3 inch young volitan if he put it in a his tank?
I say he would easily be able to keep it for at least two-three years, at the least.

In actuality the biggest concern in a tank that size is not getting tagged by him when working, that hurts like a mofo.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:03 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Why buy a fish when you can't house it for its entire life? I will never understand that. In 2-3 years that fish could be 10". Whose going to want 2 10" volitain lions? What happens if he can't find them a new home? Just stick to a smaller species, it will make the ops life much easier as they won't have to rehome it and they can keep it for its entire life.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:05 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Why buy a fish when you can't house it for its entire life? I will never understand that. In 2-3 years that fish could be 10". Whose going to want 2 10" volitain lions? What happens if he can't find them a new home? Just stick to a smaller species, it will make the ops life much easier as they won't have to rehome it and they can keep it for its entire life.

well that's why we have all gotten bigger tanks over the years, isn't it.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:09 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Single fish for 55 gallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
well that's why we have all gotten bigger tanks over the years, isn't it.
Yes lol but still is rather stick to appropriate fish and not get screwed when I need to upgrade tanks but I'm broke from other more important life things . Plus I'd rather own a radiata or fuzzy dwarf than a volitain . Getting stung by a volitain sucks a lot as well...

Old 07-17-2014, 02:26 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Getting stung by a volitain sucks a lot as well...
yes it does...

I guess my attitude is in response to the "OH MY GOD!!!!" type of attitude some folks demonstrate concerning things such as this, so like I asked, what evils will befall this young lionfish?

Just trying to prompt folks to apply a little gray matter to a topic rather than thinking it is all simply black and white.

If he wants to keep volitans and eels in a 55, IT CAN EASILY BE DONE with a few caveats as I have pointed out as well as you have, but to just insist it can't be done is foolish and incorrect.
THAT is the attitude that I don't understand.
Kinda why in the thread about the most important thing to have in this hobby I answered "common sense".
This is a common sense issue and god is not going to strike him down or the fish police won't break his door down and confiscate his tank if he puts a volitan lion in a 55.
That is all.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, fish, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com