Single fish for 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To answer your question, yes I have kept volitans. I've seen plenty that are far larger than 8" as well. You should always try to stock your tank with fish that can live in it their entire life unless you can GUARANTEE an upgrade, which he didn't mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any suggestions other than lions, eels, etc?

How about angel, butterfly , yellow tang, etc?

The reason for this thread is the tank will mostly be viewed from across the room and I would like largest fish(that I like) that the tanks filtration(bio and otherwise) can handle. I'm not opposed to a few small fish in there with it.

A dwarf angel would work. Tangs and butterflies need more room than a 55 IMO. A large hawkfish would work.

The reason for this thread is the tank will mostly be viewed from across the room and I would like largest fish(that I like) that the tanks filtration(bio and otherwise) can handle. I'm not opposed to a few small fish in there with it.

That makes it a little tougher. The reason lionfish are a good choice is because they are relatively sedentary and don't require a lot of free swimming room like a tang or angel would.

Maybe a trigger or a grouper, but you still have the issue of them possibly outgrowing the tank.

Maybe go with schools instead.
Damsels and cardinals would be decent options.

That makes it a little tougher. The reason lionfish are a good choice is because they are relatively sedentary and don't require a lot of free swimming room like a tang or angel would.

Maybe a trigger or a grouper, but you still have the issue of them possibly outgrowing the tank.

Maybe go with schools instead.
Damsels and cardinals would be decent options.

Yeah, I feel with a 55 you are just too small for a lot of the cool solitary fish so Maybe large schools would be the correct way to go.

Groupers that are commonly available usually need like 200 gallons. Honeycombs, which are one of the smallest you can get need at least a 125 IMO. All triggers are basically 125+ as well. Tangs and butterflies need 125 min... They tend to swim a lot. If you want the biggest fish that would be a lion because they barely swim. Antenatta and radiatas get about 8" if I remember correctly.

Groupers that are commonly available usually need like 200 gallons. Honeycombs, which are one of the smallest you can get need at least a 125 IMO. All triggers are basically 125+ as well. Tangs and butterflies need 125 min... They tend to swim a lot. If you want the biggest fish that would be a lion because they barely swim. Antenatta and radiatas get about 8" if I remember correctly.

Yes, at full adult size.
Was looking at LiveAquaria .com and their recommendations are wacked IMO.
the max sizes they list are just that, maximum size in the wild, and their minimum tank recommendations are based on that size, which the majority of fish if started as juveniles, will not reach those sizes in captivity.

come on people, let's apply a little common sense to the problem.

But, given the OP's constraints and desires, I'm thinking small schools of maybe three small species would be the best option.

Have to agree, most of the bigger Angelfish, Butterflies and Tangs that you can see from across the room need a bigger tank than a standard 55. ( sorry :( ) The lions mentioned would offer you some style and "pizzazz" while not underhousing their needs.
The idea of a school of smaller fish is a good choice to consider. Chromis type damsels tend to school together which can put on a show. Your other choices can include certain Anthias, Cardinal fishes ( I'm a fan of the PJs and the stripped ones)and Gobies ( ie: Firefish, bar, engineer). Just about all the real schooling fish need a large number of them to look good or eventually get too large for that size tank.
Just something to think about ;)
Hope this helps

For schooling fish I would have to agree with cardinal fish. Bangii cardinals are my favorite and are absolutely gorgeous. Also I'm not sure what you mean by "some common sense" lol. A groupers or triggers not gonna work in a 55, that's common sense. :p

Common sense in that the recommendations need to be taken with a grain of salt.
According to liveaquaria, your tank is overstocked and too small for your triggers and bat. They also recommend NOT putting batfish in a reef tank.
But your common sense and experience tells you that they are fine in the size tank you are housing them in and I assume your batfish hasn't eaten your corals yet.

THAT'S what I mean by "apply a little common sense" ;)

But like I previously stated, fish usually do not reach those max sizes in captivity, most hit about 3/4 of that max size unless housed in VERY large tanks, multiple hundreds of gallons.

While a 55 gallon wouldn't be the best/ideal size for triggers, juvenile ones would do perfectly fine and if the OP is wanting a single main display fish, a trigger could fit the bill. Again, isn't the ideal size, but could be done.

If you want to be honest about it, freshwater betta's are one of the few fish that are ok with the small confines we keep them in, all other fish in the hobby would much rather be in the expanse of whatever wild environment they came from, especially marine fish.

so it kinda looks as if the general consensus is;

Smaller lions and morays
or
schooling fish, damsels, cardinals, etc.

Schools with a Flame angel as the "center piece" might be cool and the flame angels color will definitely stand out from across the room.

I completely misunderstood the common sense. I thought you were saying it as a "you're wrong and what you're saying makes no sense." Lol. Yes I agree experience teaches us the most. And also agree that the best bet for the OP would be a school of small fish or a lion/eel combo. That signature is so old too :p I still have the bat and huma trigger though. I'll be giving the bat away if she gets any bigger. That's why I'm trying to say to get fish you can keep for their whole life.... She's such a cool fish I don't want to get rid of her but I wouldn't want her to be in a tank too small.

IMO that's an awesome tank but it'd look empty from across the room :(

Of course it would, pretty much any large single fish for a tank this size would look empty across the room. But that's the nature of the beast.

Bat fish in a 55g I would say NOT a chance
the average bat fish grows at a good rate they can get as big as 2ft
yes the tank is 4ft but its what 12"wide the poor fish would never be able to turn around
who ever drilled into your mind that a fish in captivity wont grow to it's capacity in captivity needs to be smacked upside the head
I have damsels that were not supposed to get any bigger than 3" they are close to 6"
my engineer goby not supposed to get bigger than 18" he is closer to 2 1/2 ft

I also have fresh water fish that grow almost double the size they are supposed to
things don't stop growing if you put it in a smaller tank that is total myth

Of course it would, pretty much any large single fish for a tank this size would look empty across the room. But that's the nature of the beast.

Oh I know, I more meant that bettas are known to be hiders. But yeah I agree with you

Bat fish in a 55g I would say NOT a chance
the average bat fish grows at a good rate they can get as big as 2ft
yes the tank is 4ft but its what 12"wide the poor fish would never be able to turn around
who ever drilled into your mind that a fish in captivity wont grow to it's capacity in captivity needs to be smacked upside the head
I have damsels that were not supposed to get any bigger than 3" they are close to 6"
my engineer goby not supposed to get bigger than 18" he is closer to 2 1/2 ft

I also have fresh water fish that grow almost double the size they are supposed to
things don't stop growing if you put it in a smaller tank that is total myth

Well, that hasn't been my experience, so......

and I don't think anyone suggested a batfish.
my post was a response to crister13 concerning his batfish. ;)

luv to see pics of these monsters.

Nobody said a bat fish in a 55 lol that would be terrible. And ya marine bettas are cool but hide a ton... Wouldn't see anything.

Back
Top Bottom