Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Single fish for 55 gallon

To answer your question, yes I have kept volitans. I've seen plenty that are far larger than 8" as well. You should always try to stock your tank with fish that can live in it their entire life unless you can GUARANTEE an upgrade, which he didn't mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Any suggestions other than lions, eels, etc?

How about angel, butterfly , yellow tang, etc?

The reason for this thread is the tank will mostly be viewed from across the room and I would like largest fish(that I like) that the tanks filtration(bio and otherwise) can handle. I'm not opposed to a few small fish in there with it.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

A dwarf angel would work. Tangs and butterflies need more room than a 55 IMO. A large hawkfish would work.

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnow View Post
The reason for this thread is the tank will mostly be viewed from across the room and I would like largest fish(that I like) that the tanks filtration(bio and otherwise) can handle. I'm not opposed to a few small fish in there with it.
That makes it a little tougher. The reason lionfish are a good choice is because they are relatively sedentary and don't require a lot of free swimming room like a tang or angel would.

Maybe a trigger or a grouper, but you still have the issue of them possibly outgrowing the tank.

Maybe go with schools instead.
Damsels and cardinals would be decent options.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
That makes it a little tougher. The reason lionfish are a good choice is because they are relatively sedentary and don't require a lot of free swimming room like a tang or angel would.

Maybe a trigger or a grouper, but you still have the issue of them possibly outgrowing the tank.

Maybe go with schools instead.
Damsels and cardinals would be decent options.
Yeah, I feel with a 55 you are just too small for a lot of the cool solitary fish so Maybe large schools would be the correct way to go.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What about some kind of a wrasse? Flasher? Fairy?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Groupers that are commonly available usually need like 200 gallons. Honeycombs, which are one of the smallest you can get need at least a 125 IMO. All triggers are basically 125+ as well. Tangs and butterflies need 125 min... They tend to swim a lot. If you want the biggest fish that would be a lion because they barely swim. Antenatta and radiatas get about 8" if I remember correctly.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13 View Post
Groupers that are commonly available usually need like 200 gallons. Honeycombs, which are one of the smallest you can get need at least a 125 IMO. All triggers are basically 125+ as well. Tangs and butterflies need 125 min... They tend to swim a lot. If you want the biggest fish that would be a lion because they barely swim. Antenatta and radiatas get about 8" if I remember correctly.

Yes, at full adult size.
Was looking at LiveAquaria .com and their recommendations are wacked IMO.
the max sizes they list are just that, maximum size in the wild, and their minimum tank recommendations are based on that size, which the majority of fish if started as juveniles, will not reach those sizes in captivity.

come on people, let's apply a little common sense to the problem.

But, given the OP's constraints and desires, I'm thinking small schools of maybe three small species would be the best option.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have to agree, most of the bigger Angelfish, Butterflies and Tangs that you can see from across the room need a bigger tank than a standard 55. ( sorry ) The lions mentioned would offer you some style and "pizzazz" while not underhousing their needs.
The idea of a school of smaller fish is a good choice to consider. Chromis type damsels tend to school together which can put on a show. Your other choices can include certain Anthias, Cardinal fishes ( I'm a fan of the PJs and the stripped ones)and Gobies ( ie: Firefish, bar, engineer). Just about all the real schooling fish need a large number of them to look good or eventually get too large for that size tank.
Just something to think about
Hope this helps
Old 07-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Single fish for 55 gallon

For schooling fish I would have to agree with cardinal fish. Bangii cardinals are my favorite and are absolutely gorgeous. Also I'm not sure what you mean by "some common sense" lol. A groupers or triggers not gonna work in a 55, that's common sense. :P

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, fish, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com