Single fish for 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minnow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking for a single large(relatively) fish for a 55 gallon(standard dimensions) fish only or FOWLR.

Some info:

Have some experience with FW planted and Pico reefs.

Will be tested weekly.

Most likely Bare bottom.

Will run a skimmer.

Not interested in corals or other inverts.

So far all I have come up with is some kind of Lionfish. Any other suggestions?

A fuzzy dwarf lion would work. Volitains will get to big. An angler tank would work but they are very specialized.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Think about maybe an Antenatta or radiata lionfish. These grow to a medium size compared to Volitans and are a little more "flashy" than the dwarf lions. Plus, they won;t require a large swimming area.
If not, most other fish will not do well alone so it's a bit hard to suggest. If you have a tight lid, an Octopus comes to mind. They would enjoy the rock set up.

Hope this helps

I've always thought a lionfish/moray eel tank would be cool.

you could get a lanceolatus grouper, they only get to about 8-9' long and just under a half ton at full size, you may have to get a bigger tank somewhere along the line though.

JK
seriously though, a lfs I frequent has FIVE of these, why???????
another animal that has no business in home aquaria, even though they look beautiful.

Think about maybe an Antenatta or radiata lionfish. These grow to a medium size compared to Volitans and are a little more "flashy" than the dwarf lions. Plus, they won;t require a large swimming area.
If not, most other fish will not do well alone so it's a bit hard to suggest. If you have a tight lid, an Octopus comes to mind. They would enjoy the rock set up.

Hope this helps

A large centerpiece fish with a few small fish would be OK too.

Small fish with a lion isn't going to end well. Like the others suggested above I would recommend a radiata or antenatta lion. Really cool fish and won't get too big.

I have a Mombasa lion which is really cool but has a huge mouth. I think someone else said, maybe a lion and an eel. I have a dwarf golden eel which is a nice size for that tank. I have an angler fish also which is cool, but rather boring. It only seems to move when I'm not watching.

I have a Mombasa lion which is really cool but has a huge mouth. I think someone else said, maybe a lion and an eel. I have a dwarf golden eel which is a nice size for that tank. I have an angler fish also which is cool, but rather boring. It only seems to move when I'm not watching.

You have a golden dwarf moray?!?! I'd love to see pics. They're in my top 5 favorite sw fish!

Not trying to hijack this thread, but here you go. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405477617.190018.jpg

Snowflake and a dwarf/radiata/antenatta would be awesome! Just make sure you have a decent amount of rocks and caves for the eel to hide in! Also descent filtration because they're both pretty messy eaters :).

In actuality one or two volitans with an eel or two would be fine. Lionfish do not require the swimming room some other fish require and I doubt they would reach full size in there anyway. You may have to rehouse them after a couple of years.
It is more a challenge of maintaining the water quality when they get bigger...
BUT lions and eels being major carnivores works in your favor as you can easily get away with only feeding 1-2 times a week. ;)

NO WAY you could keep 1 volitan let alone 2 in a 55. No way. They can get like 15" long which is longer than the tank is wide. Do NOT do that.

NO WAY you could keep 1 volitan let alone 2 in a 55. No way. They can get like 15" long which is longer than the tank is wide. Do NOT do that.

Let me ask you this, have you ever seen one that size in a home aquarium, especially a 55?
Have you ever kept volitan lions?
I kept a couple in my 100 gallon and they maxed out at about 7-8".
Plus it depends on if the tank is a "show" style or reg. OP said standard, so that could be 19" if not a show tank.

I clearly said they most likely will not grow that big in captivity (lot of folks forget those max sizes are usually based on in the wild, not an aquarium.)
I clearly said he may have to rehouse them in a couple of years as well, didn't I?

Please tell me all the evils that would befall a 2-3 inch young volitan if he put it in a his tank?
I say he would easily be able to keep it for at least two-three years, at the least.

In actuality the biggest concern in a tank that size is not getting tagged by him when working, that hurts like a mofo.

Why buy a fish when you can't house it for its entire life? I will never understand that. In 2-3 years that fish could be 10". Whose going to want 2 10" volitain lions? What happens if he can't find them a new home? Just stick to a smaller species, it will make the ops life much easier as they won't have to rehome it and they can keep it for its entire life.

Why buy a fish when you can't house it for its entire life? I will never understand that. In 2-3 years that fish could be 10". Whose going to want 2 10" volitain lions? What happens if he can't find them a new home? Just stick to a smaller species, it will make the ops life much easier as they won't have to rehome it and they can keep it for its entire life.

well that's why we have all gotten bigger tanks over the years, isn't it.:cool:

well that's why we have all gotten bigger tanks over the years, isn't it.:cool:

Yes lol but still is rather stick to appropriate fish and not get screwed when I need to upgrade tanks but I'm broke from other more important life things :(. Plus I'd rather own a radiata or fuzzy dwarf than a volitain :D. Getting stung by a volitain sucks a lot as well...

Getting stung by a volitain sucks a lot as well...

yes it does...

I guess my attitude is in response to the "OH MY GOD!!!!" type of attitude some folks demonstrate concerning things such as this, so like I asked, what evils will befall this young lionfish?

Just trying to prompt folks to apply a little gray matter to a topic rather than thinking it is all simply black and white.

If he wants to keep volitans and eels in a 55, IT CAN EASILY BE DONE with a few caveats as I have pointed out as well as you have, but to just insist it can't be done is foolish and incorrect.
THAT is the attitude that I don't understand.
Kinda why in the thread about the most important thing to have in this hobby I answered "common sense".
This is a common sense issue and god is not going to strike him down or the fish police won't break his door down and confiscate his tank if he puts a volitan lion in a 55.
That is all.;)

Back
Top Bottom