Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Question Siphon over your Sand Bed

Question I am going to do a Water change and I need to Siphon some Cayno out I think it's trying to take over my Tank especially the sand bed I also notice alot of red algae growing... I don't think it's coralline? Now this still being a new tank this will be my 2 water change in 2 weeks I also have cut down lighting time. Is siphoning my sand bed going to suck up all the sand or just a little bit....? I want to be careful an not have a hugh bucket of sand maybe i am just wondering is sand Subtrate good to Siphon over....?

Let me know I've been batle ing Cayno for a few days now and is seem to not want to go away....

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It will take up a little bit of sand, nothing to worry about. The cyano should be kinda thick and easy to remove.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
It will take up a little bit of sand, nothing to worry about. The cyano should be kinda thick and easy to remove.
Cool... I am trying to cut down on feeding it's seems as if one cube can really feed more than 3 fishes and most of it stays on the bottom... My Phos level might be up that could be a reason why i am getting so much cayno growth but hopefully this should be the Final Battle so the words of Mortal Combat..... !!!!FINISH HIM!!!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
LOL! I have found if you have cyano, your phosphate levels are pretty much unreadable. I think the cyano consumes the phosphates so fast there is no real "trace" of them.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
LOL! I have found if you have cyano, your phosphate levels are pretty much unreadable. I think the cyano consumes the phosphates so fast there is no real "trace" of them.
Ah... I see... I was thinking could it be my Nitrates but as of yesterday it was at 0.0 ppm.... but in the next couple days I will let you know if it's all gone.... Thanks for the posts
Old 10-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
Cool... I am trying to cut down on feeding it's seems as if one cube can really feed more than 3 fishes and most of it stays on the bottom... My Phos level might be up that could be a reason why i am getting so much cayno growth but hopefully this should be the Final Battle so the words of Mortal Combat..... !!!!FINISH HIM!!!!!

If you are feeding cubes, it helps to melt them and drain the liquids. This prevents excessive oils and waste that promote algae growth. I did this, along with cutting light times and my cyano/red algae went away on its own.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
If you are feeding cubes, it helps to melt them and drain the liquids. This prevents excessive oils and waste that promote algae growth. I did this, along with cutting light times and my cyano/red algae went away on its own.
Battling that now... Yeah rinsing the cubes helps alot....

Tags
sand, sand bed, siphon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com