Siphon over your Sand Bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Question I am going to do a Water change and I need to Siphon some Cayno out I think it's trying to take over my Tank especially the sand bed I also notice alot of red algae growing... I don't think it's coralline? Now this still being a new tank this will be my 2 water change in 2 weeks I also have cut down lighting time. Is siphoning my sand bed going to suck up all the sand or just a little bit....? I want to be careful an not have a hugh bucket of sand maybe i am just wondering is sand Subtrate good to Siphon over....?

Let me know I've been batle ing Cayno for a few days now and is seem to not want to go away....

It will take up a little bit of sand, nothing to worry about. The cyano should be kinda thick and easy to remove.

It will take up a little bit of sand, nothing to worry about. The cyano should be kinda thick and easy to remove.

Cool... I am trying to cut down on feeding it's seems as if one cube can really feed more than 3 fishes and most of it stays on the bottom... My Phos level might be up that could be a reason why i am getting so much cayno growth but hopefully this should be the Final Battle so the words of Mortal Combat..... !!!!FINISH HIM!!!!! :uzi:

LOL! I have found if you have cyano, your phosphate levels are pretty much unreadable. I think the cyano consumes the phosphates so fast there is no real "trace" of them.

LOL! I have found if you have cyano, your phosphate levels are pretty much unreadable. I think the cyano consumes the phosphates so fast there is no real "trace" of them.

Ah... I see... I was thinking could it be my Nitrates but as of yesterday it was at 0.0 ppm.... but in the next couple days I will let you know if it's all gone.... Thanks for the posts

Cool... I am trying to cut down on feeding it's seems as if one cube can really feed more than 3 fishes and most of it stays on the bottom... My Phos level might be up that could be a reason why i am getting so much cayno growth but hopefully this should be the Final Battle so the words of Mortal Combat..... !!!!FINISH HIM!!!!! :uzi:

If you are feeding cubes, it helps to melt them and drain the liquids. This prevents excessive oils and waste that promote algae growth. I did this, along with cutting light times and my cyano/red algae went away on its own.

If you are feeding cubes, it helps to melt them and drain the liquids. This prevents excessive oils and waste that promote algae growth. I did this, along with cutting light times and my cyano/red algae went away on its own.

Battling that now... Yeah rinsing the cubes helps alot....:D

Back
Top Bottom