Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2003, 12:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Skilter filter

I have a 250 Skilter with protein skimmer all-in-one. It's been running for month now on my 30 gal. FOWLR aquarium. I also have 2 shrimps and 3 blue-legged crabs. Well, the filter has never produced any bubbles. Does that mean is not working properly?

Old 10-13-2003, 12:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Skilter Filter ****BAD****

Check out that post for more info on skilter filters.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

"Skilter" Bubbles

I do not know about the 250...but I have the 400 model and I think it must work the same...

Have been running in a 55 gal. tank for a month now, going thru first cycle.

You "MUST" have "bubbles" for the skimmer to work. If assembled correctly there should be a little tube coming out near top of filter with a small white cap inserted. This is the air intake valve and must be pulled out slightly to allow air into skimmer...making "bubbles" - more pulled out...more air...smaller the bubbles the better...

HOWEVER...IT IS VERY NOISY!...a well published "fix" is the placement of a 1" airstone at the base of the skimmer tower connected to a small "quiet" airpump...makes all the difference in the world and gets much nicer bubble action...

DONT BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR ABOUT "SKILTER's"...they are underrated by most who have had little practical experience with them...they are the perfect starter filter system for those with little experience and without allot of $ to race out and buy a "Mercedes" system. Should make a great supplemental system if and when you decide to "grow" out of it...

RGDS

OmarD
Old 10-13-2003, 11:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
DONT BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR ABOUT "SKILTER's"...they are underrated by most who have had little practical experience with them...they are the perfect starter filter system for those with little experience and without allot of $ to race out and buy a "Mercedes" system. Should make a great supplemental system if and when you decide to "grow" out of it...
I would imagine this rightfully earns its poor reputation considering it is relatively useless out of the box from the company.

Are they really has loud as people say? I said, are they really as loud as people say?
Old 10-14-2003, 01:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Well i got scared enough into just buying more live rock and just getting a aqua c remora skimmer....
Old 10-14-2003, 01:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

a skilter filter was pooly designed but it can be easily fixed by adding an air stone and shutting off the venturi on the pump. The main reason (as ive stated in another post "skilter filter ***bad***") is that the reaction chamber is too small for enough dwell time to occur. The bubbles dont have enough time in such a small area to collect the bacteria and other matter from the tank. Simply extending the reaction chamber and following the other modifications listed on sites like ozreef.org your skilter should work fine. Like omard said dont believe the hype. Its ridiculous to pay 150$ for skimmers out there especially if you have a small tank.

ALSO...keep in mind that even with the best skimmer on a non established tank you wont get dark foam until the skimmer has had time to be broken in.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As long as you have to rebuild the Skilter why not just build your own skimmer entirely? Personally, I'd rather do that or do frequent water changes on a small tank rather than support a company that makes an inadequate product but markets it as an adequate one. But, this is more about ethics than the skimmer itself.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 12:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

hoops, im only doing it because i have a nano. On my next 55 gal i will build my own.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Skilter 250

Hello OmarD,

I just received my Skilter 250. You mentioned "a well published "fix" is the placement of a 1" airstone at the base of the skimmer tower connected to a small "quiet" airpump...makes all the difference in the world and gets much nicer bubble action..."

Please show me how to do this. I would appreciate very much.

I read Doug Coverdale's article regarding the Skilter 250 Modification, but I do not know where to place the 35mm film canister, and how to connect the other end of the airline tube to an external airpump?

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was only commenting that rather than rebuild and support a crappy product, maybe it would be best to custom make one tailored to your tank....I would imagine it would be almost as cheap? I just think it stinks that the manufactures of the Skilter make money, yet the customer has to make them work.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com