Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Skimmer advice needed.

Am trying to adjust the airflow for my skimmer but now it is putting pure water in the collection cup and over flowing. Its a sea clone not sure what version it was a used model. Any advice?

Old 06-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The sea clone will probably never be perfectly adjusted, I had one, it was always a little off one way or another, make sure your little intake filter isn't clogged up, then screw in the air adjuster a little bit (like 1/8th of a turn) Do this until it stops overflowing . But the sea clone is hard to get tuned and really hard to keep tuned, I modded it every way you could and could just barely keep it working half way right.

I can't give you any hard and fast advice on the sea clone except use it until you can afford a better skimmer, I upgraded to a eshopps psk75h and even though it's still a budget skimmer it's much better than the seaclone

Old 06-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

What type of pump does the eshopps have?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not sure of the exact specs of the pump, but it has a needle wheel impeller or a mesh impeller, and the pump is out of the tank, it has a bubble plate, and two possible ways to adjust the skimmer ( airflow or water height) . These are pretty much the advantages of the eshopps over the seaclone, also the eshopps has an overflow, so if your cup was to overflow it could either go back into the tank or you could run the hose to a jug, I accidentally overflowed my seaclone a couple times, and have the stains to prove it.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also another big forum has a dedicated topic on the eshopps skimmer, I don't know if I can mention their name on here but it's initials are R C
Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I am running a seaclone skimmer. It is pretty much garbage. In HOB form I have to take it apart weekly just to get it to run without sucking air. With it in my sump it will pull out a nasty liquid brew, but so much better could be done.

To get mine to work like this, I opened up the air valve the entire way. Took about a week for it to start working. I've tried closing the valve some, but it will then stop working for a day or 2 so I just keep it fully open.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like you ran mine pretty much wide open, until it overflowed on me a couple times, then I had to cut it down, then it was constant adjustment to keep it going. I could get good skimmate out of it sometimes, but it was very inconsistent.
I had also cut down the inner tube, added an airstone, and cut up a bio ball and affixed it to the impeller to make it like a needle wheel impeller. The extra air stone mod worked the best, as then I could ad more bubbles when needed, without messing with the pumps flow.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I also have eshopps skimmers, two to be exact. I love them, evenmore than my octopus skimmer. lol They are solid and cheap and work well so if you will be upgrading the seaclone it's worth a look.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

You guys and gals convinced me.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I also have eshopps skimmers, two to be exact. I love them, evenmore than my octopus skimmer. lol They are solid and cheap and work well so if you will be upgrading the seaclone it's worth a look.
As with Carey ,I had an eshopps skimmer but had to upgrade to a bubble magus when I bought a much bigger tank,...I think that they're a good bang for your buck,.. My old eshopps is being currently used by a friend on his tank and he doesn't wanna give it back.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com